MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 9 August 2022
The opening ceremony for a regular meeting was conducted in accordance with the Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; the meeting opened at 1000 hours by Commander Spain. Opening prayers were given by Commander Spain.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS:
• Commander – Charlie Spain – Present
• Senior Vice Commander – Andrew Dzurissin – Present (via video)
• Junior Vice Commander – Edward “Pete” Brozowski - Present
• Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun - Present
• Chaplain - James Rodgers – Present (via video)
• Trustee One – Fred Russian – Present
• Trustee Two – Roscoe McGlynn - Present
• Trustee Three – Present Garret Bridges - Present
• Adjutant – Bud St.Onge – Present
• Judge Advocate – Bud St.Onge – Present
• Surgeon –Andrew Dzurissin – Present (via video)
• Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present (via video)
• Service Officer - Vacant
• Assistant Service Officer – Rhett Webber – Present (via video)
• Scholarship Committee Chairman—Tim Aukshun - Present
• Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber – Present (via video)
• National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present (via video)
• Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
• Historian—Pete Brozowski - Present
• OOD – Garret Bridges – Present There were 11 members in attendance.
Commander Spain recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Past District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Bud St.Onge
o Past All American District Commander: Charlie Spain
o Past All American District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Tim Aukshun
o Past Department Commander, District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Rhett Webber
DRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: The Charter was undraped for our departed life member J.D. Keller.
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: We are awaiting two prospective membership applications.
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the July 12, 2022 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes was made by comrade St.Onge seconded by comrade Brozowski, no discussion, motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: Comrade Aukshun provided us a comprehensive report on the Post financials and made a motion to accept the report, as audited, seconded by comrade Bridges, no discussion, motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• The following comrades are still convalescing David Ransom, Larry Purdy, Jim Kiper, James Mann and Howard Williams.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER: Attached
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
• SURGEON: Attached
• JUDGE ADVOCATE: None
• CHAPLAIN: None
• HISTORIAN: None
• SAFETY OFFICER: None
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All CSRs should be inputted on the new VFW DPA page at www.vfwpacific.org
• BUDDY POPPY: 570 pesos collected at today’s meeting.
• NATIONAL HOME: Attached
• POW/MIA: None
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: None
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
• SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: None
• SEAM SQUIRREL: No meeting today
• CCO COMMITTEE: This year’s CCO we will be held at the Sunset View Resort (formally JD’s) and now under Bella’s management. Bella’s has 6 rooms for rent, so if you want to stay there for this event, contact them now. The event will take place on November 26th. Comrade Webber is working with a vendor to make polymer plaques in Angeles City for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes. Chili judges and other positions will be discussed at our September meeting. Directions to the venue will be provided. We will need volunteers.
A motion was made by comrade Brozowski to accept all committee reports, seconded by comrade Aukshun, no discussion. motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by Comrade Aukshun, in remembrance of our National Home.
• If you are interested in joining the meeting via video you must first be a member of the Post 9892 GMM Facebook chat group. Simply request to be added if you are presently not part of the group. Comrade Brozowski will call everyone in this group (in a single call) that is on line. If you want to join, answer the call and you will be in. If not, disregard the call. The call will open up the line for you to join us. You will not be able to call in as we did with zoom.
• FPO: Military retirees living overseas may continue using their APO and FPO addresses for a little longer (approximately 6 months), following the Military Postal Service Agency’s decision to halt a move that would have taken away their mailboxes next month. The postal agency rescinded an announcement it made in June, saying it would end services for certain categories of customers beginning Aug. 24, This will not happen now. Another announcement about authorized customers is expected within the next six months, IMCOM-Europe spokesman Mark Heeter said, citing information given to his office by the Military Postal Service Agency, which is an extension of the U.S. Postal Service. Until then, current customers can use services as normal. However, it is important that we continue to contact key players in the US Government that will have some influence on the final decision.
• Comrade McGlynn made a motion to use Post funds of 10,000 pesos to rebuild classrooms in Palawan. He will put together a scope of work and we will discuss further at our next meeting. We will also see if this project would qualify for a grant from National. Motion seconded by Comrade Brozowski, some discussion, motion approved. Comrade Aukshun will also donate 10,000 peso for the project. More information will be provided on this at the September meeting.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Social Security annual questionnaire: If you receive one from SSA, be sure to fill it out and return it to them. It is unclear at this time if they have been mailed by SSA. Also inform SSA of any changes to your mailing address, marital status or dependents. • AFN decoder: Attached is the updated programing information for your AFN decoder.
50/50 DRAWING: 50/50 drawing: Total 800 pesos. Comrade Aukshun won 400 pesos and the post received 400 pesos.
BUDDY POPPY: 570
The meeting closed at 1045 hours in accordance with the VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be September 13, 2022 @ 1000, officers call at 0930. Location: Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union.