MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 21 April 2020 Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
Chaplin: Bobby Reyes Due to the Enhanced Community Quarantine and travel restrictions throughout the island of Luzon, Republic of the Philippines this meeting was done using group video conferencing with the Zoom Application.
Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours.
Opening prayers were given by appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Reyes.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS:
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Pete Brozowski – Present
Junior Vice Commander – Michael Grider– Present
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers--Absent
Trustee One – Fred Russian – Absent
Trustee Two – John Mesaros – Absent
Trustee Three – Garrett Bridges -Present
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Pete Brozowski – Present
Surgeon - Rhett Webber—Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Scholarship Committee Chairman—Tim Aukshun—Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber – Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun –Present
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Past Department Commander: Rhett Webber
o Present District 7 Commander: Bud St Onge
o Past District 7 Commander: Rhett Webber, Charles Spain
o Past Post Commanders: Rhett Webber
o Junior Past Commander Bud St Onge
• Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel Rhett Webber
There were 12 members in attendance.
UNDRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: Thankfully, none
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: : The Minutes from the March 10, 2020 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Aukshun seconded by Comrade Brozowski. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Charles Spain. Motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report as audited was made by Comrade Spain and Seconded by Comrade Reyes. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: : District Commander St.Onge passed on information that the Department Convention in Bangkok (June) and the National Convention in Reno (July) have been cancelled . More information is forthcoming on how these events will take place via video conferencing. The District Convention will take place in May. An invitation letter will be sent out in the next few days with information on that event.
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Kiper is convalescing at home.
• JD Keller is also convalescing at home.
• Clint Sherbondy passed away in Arlee, Montana on December 10, 2019. No other information. We will honor him at our next post meeting where/when we can drape the charter in his memory.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• VAOPC is still closed while Manila is in lock down. Veterans can still order their medications on-line.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Distributed via email.
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Nothing to report
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Distributed via email.
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports go to Junior Vice Commander Pete Brozowski. email@example.com.
• NATIONAL HOME: Sent to distribution via email
• POW/MIA: Sent to distribution via email
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Commander Reyes reports 100% + 1 in membership. Keep the press on membership!
BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Bridges seconded by Comrade Rodgers, some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: : A prayer was said by appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Reyes, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI continues to be on hold.
• Bacsil Ridge project on hold.
• Post 9892 Birthday celebration still set for June 16 or 23, depending on when the DPA has their elections. This’ll be the new officers’ first meeting. Event at Crown& Anchor.
• We are off the hook in sponsoring the District 7 Conventions as that event will be done on-line. All venues have been informed of our cancellation.
• We assisted the locked-in employees at Crown and Anchor who were in desperate need of food and necessities. Mark said that he would pay us back gave us his thanks
• Our next GMM is scheduled for May 12, 2020. A motion to have our next meeting on May 19, just in case we want to do swearing in. Rejected.
• ELECTIONS: o The following were nominated and elected at our last meeting as VFW Post 9892 Delegates for the upcoming District 7 Convention, DPA Convention and C of A if required:
Primary: Bobby Reyes, Bud St Onge, Tim Aukshun, Charles Spain, Rhett Webber, Allen Wilson, Pete Brozowski.
Alternate: Fred Russian, James Rodger, John Mesaros, Art Gaspard, Michael Grider, Roger Limle, Sonny English, George Boronot
Charles Spain was nominated and elected as VFW National Delegate.
o The following were elected as the new officers for the upcoming VFW season. They will officially assume their positions and responsibilities after the VFW Department of Pacific Areas Convention. Swearing-in Ceremony for new officers and appointees will be tentatively scheduled for the next physically present GMM. Congratulations!
Commander: Rhett Webber
Senior Vice Commander: Andrew Dzurissin
Junior Vice Commander: Pete Brozowski
Quartermaster: Tim Aukshun
Chaplain: Jim Rodgers Trustee Three: Fred Russian
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• We were asked to perform a funeral service at the gravesite of Stanley Krause but were unable to due to the ECQ. We said that we would do it once we were released from the ECQ and for the family to contact us.
• Supreme of the MOC has notified us that they will cancel the Supreme Scratch due to VFW National cancelling their Convention in Reno, NV. The DPA Convention has been cancelled also awaiting further direction and guidance. Waiting for the decision for the District 7 Convention.
• District 7 Commander Bud St Onge said that end of year awards need to be submitted to the District ASAP.
• Comrades, Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
• Special Events this Month until the next meeting:
o TBA: District 7 Convention
o May 1: Loyalty Day
o May 10: Mother’s Day
50/50 DRAWING: None
BUDDY POPPY: None
Meeting closed at 1015 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 12 May 2020 @ 9:00 a.m. at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union, unless we are still in quarantine then further guidance will be directed.