Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting: Wes Kerlin – OOD
Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Donald Carr – Present
Junior Vice Commander – Pete Brozowski – Present
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers – Present
Trustee One – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Two – John Mesaros – Absent
Trustee Three – Garrett Bridges - Excussed
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Don Carr - Present
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Don Carr – Present
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun – Present
There were 13 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel Rhett Webber • All past Seam Squirrels,
Post Commanders, District Officers and Department Officers.
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS:
• Comrade Aukshun said that he has a Life Member candidate, Christopher Turgeon, and is awaiting his DD-214 for the Membership Committee to approve. He thinks that he was already a VFW member so he might be a either a New Life or Reinstated Life Member applicant. Prospective Comrade Turgeon is eligible for the post’s $100 rebate.
• SVC Carr said that his father is interested in joining our VFW Post and that he would get the application from him.
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the May 14, 2019 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Aukshun, seconded by Comrade Webber. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by Comrade Spain. All programs are adequately funded indicating that our financial status is good. Income and projected expenses were also discussed with no immediate concerns. Comrade Spain made a motion to accept the quartermaster’s report, subject to audit. Motion was seconded by Comrade Brozowski, No discussion, motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
•Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Mann is presently at the Bridges of Hope in Angeles City recovering.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Lorma Hospital still does not bill FMP directly due to slow payments by FMP. VAOPC Manila is still aware of this issue and will be brought up again at the next Teleconference.
• Awaiting the President’s signature to approve the Blue Water Navy Act.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Distributed via email.
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Noting to report
CHAPLAIN: Prayers for our departed comrade, Tom Darkus and family.
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Distributed via email.
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports go to Junior Vice Commander Pete Brozowski. We did well this past reporting period and we ranked #2 behind VFW Post 2485 in Community Service Reporting in the DPA. Keep up the documentation. The DPA will be looking at “quality” vice “quantity” this upcoming season. DPA Junior Vice Commander Kevin Mitchel is in charge of this program for the Department. He will be visiting each post as well as speaking at the District meetings, explaining this program in greater detail
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND: Comrade Roger Limle read his School Report to the members.
SEAM SQUIRREL: Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
CHILI COOK-OFF:Chili Cook-Off raffle Tickets were distributed to VFW Members to either sell or buy. The CCO chairman is; working with Blu-Water Resort to have the event there again this year. A final decision will be made in the next couple of months.
NATIONAL HOME: Distributed via email
POW/MIA: Sent to email distribution.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Our Membership is presently 103.43%. We need two Life Memberships to get the DPA Membership stipend. One Life Membership to get District 7 stipend, by June 30, 2019. We have a lot of membership materials that we were able to get at the DPA Convention…passing them off to our SVC.
BUDGET COMMITTEE: The Budget Committee met prior to this General Membership Meeting and presented their budget recommendations to the floor. A motion to accept the committee’s recommendations as the 2019-2020 VFW Post 9892 Budget was made by Comrade Spain; seconded by Comrade Rodgers; Some discussion, Motion was passed.
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Carr; seconded by Comrade Webber some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by temporarily appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Comrade Spain will be sending the VFW Grant package for the Barroro Project, showing its completion, to VFW National. The project was a huge success.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on hold. CSI is presently going through remodeling and the area that would have been assigned to us will be part of that remodeling. They estimate a completion date in July; they will contact us. In the meantime we need to make a backboard advertisement and get what we need to do a respectable Membership Drive table. We will be given a 2 S.M. space near the optical shop and Alhambra tasting booth. The cost for the booth space rental is P3,210/day.
NEW BUSINESS: None
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Through hard work by all members of Col B J Smith VFW Post 9892, the post was awarded All-State Post for 2018-2019. Great job to all! • Comrades, keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front. Commander Reyes will show you how to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly if you need assistance.
• Thank you those who were able to attend our Memorial Day event and social event at the three cemeteries and finishing up at Midway Grill where members were able to enjoy the restaurant’s famous BBQ ribs.
• National gives money for recruitment drives as per CinC BJ Lawrence. Request goes through DPA Quartermaster to Rick Butler, Director Membership Department
• The next District 7 Meeting is scheduled for July 5, 2019 at VFW Post 11447 in Barrio Barretto. Officers’ call will be at 0930 and the general meeting begins at 1000. All VFW members are invited to attend. Post 11447 will hold their annual (4th of July) FilAm Friendship Day Celebration on 6 July. We still have Raffle tickets @ P500 each if somebody desires. Grand Prize is P75,000; Second Prize is P25,000. There are only 400 tickets. See Commander Reyes if you are interested in purchasing a ticket.
• We had four members attend the VFW Department of Pacific Areas Convention in Saipan, CNMI. It was a well operated Convention and much fun was had by all. A lot of information was passed out and was attended by VFW National Junior Vice Commander in Chief. It was decided that the next CofA will be held in Phnom Peng, Cambodia on December 9 - 11, 2019. The next DPA Convention will be held in Bangkok, Thailand in June 2020.
• Social Security letters are going out to those who are receiving benefits outside of the United States. Ensure that you answer the letter and return it expeditiously as it can impact your future Social Security checks from being distributed until you do return the letter to the Social Security Administration.
• American Legion 123 in Angeles City with the Vietnam Veterans Association will be hosting an America Independence Day Ceremony on July 4, 2019 4-5 PM.
• VFW Post 9892 will be celebrating the American Independence Day Celebration with VFW Post 11447 during Fil-Am Friendship Day Celebration on July 6, 2019 in Barrio Barretto, Olongapo City, Zambales.
• Commander Reyes reopened the meeting to present the following awards that were received at the DPA Convention in Saipan.
o Outstanding Contributing Business: Paradise Inn Beach Resort—Comrade Dzurissin.
o VFW All-State Post Quartermaster Cap: QM Spain. (CDR Reyes received his VFW All-State Post Commander Cap at the DPA in Saipan)
o The meeting was reclosed.
• Special Events this Month until the next meeting:
• July 4: US Independence day
• July 4: Fil-Am Friendship Day (Celebration on July 6 in Olongapo City)
50/50 DRAWING: Total 1200 pesos. The winner was Comrade Rodgers (P600). The Post will receive 600 pesos.
BUDDY POPPY: P330 which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1100 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 9 JULY 2019 @ 9:00 a.m. at Philibel’s Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union .