MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 12 April 2022
This meeting was also conducted face to face and using group video conferencing with the Zoom Application. The opening ceremony for a regular meeting was conducted in accordance with the Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; the meeting opened at 1010 hours by Commander Webber Opening prayers were given by comrade Rodgers.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS:
• Commander – Rhett Webber – Present
• Senior Vice Commander – Andrew Dzurissin - Present
• Junior Vice Commander – Edward “Pete” Brozowski– Present
• Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun - Present
• Chaplain - James Rodgers -Present
• Trustee One – Garret Bridges - Present
• Trustee Two – Fred Russian – Absent
• Trustee Three –Roscoe McGlynn – Present (via zoom)
• Adjutant – Bud St.Onge - Present
• Judge Advocate – Bud St.Onge – Present
• Surgeon –Andrew Dzurissin - Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
• Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present
• Assistant Service Officer – Rhett Webber - Present
• Scholarship Committee Chairman—Tim Aukshun - Present
• Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber – Present
• National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
• Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
• Historian—Pete Brozowski—Present
• OOD – Garret Bridges - Present
Commander Webber recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Current District 7 Commander and past Post Commander: Bobby Reyes
o Past All American District Commander: Charlie Spain
o Past District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Bud St.Onge
o Past All American District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Tim Aukshun
o Past Department, District 7 and Post Commander: Rhett Webber
There were 14 members in attendance.
DRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: The Charter was draped in honor of our departed life member, Alberto Villanueva, who passed away in December, 2021
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the March 8, 2022 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes, as distributed and posted, was made by comrade St.Onge, seconded by comrade Brozowski, No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: Comrade Aukshun provided us a comprehensive report on the Post financials and made a motion to accept the report, subject to audit, seconded by comrade Rodgers, no discussion, motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE:We have received correspondence from the Surgeon General regarding suicide awareness and prevention. That report is an attachment to the minutes.
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• The following comrades are still convalescing Larry Purdy, Kim Kiper and Howard Williams.
• Steven M. Benoit: Gold Legacy Life member and Life Pup Tent 7 KUTO, passed away on 13 March 2022
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• VAOPC Manila had commenced physical appointments for enrolled veterans. Covid restrictions are constantly changing in the Philippines we urge you to contact VAOPC Manila and find out what the latest information is. You may still request for a telephone appointment. In most cases they will approve that but it’s on a case-by-case basis.
• Service Officer CSRs are very high assisting veterans and their families for our post since we have CDR Rhett Webber in Angeles City and PSO/ADSO Bobby Reyes doing claims assistance Philippine-wide utilizing remote means. There are now only two VA accredited VFW Veterans Service Officers in the Philippines VFW DPA DSO Chris Pearce and VFW Post 9892/VFW DPA ADSO Bobby Reyes.
• VFW Post 9892 Service Officer continues to provide assistance to veterans and their spouses in filing claims with VA and filing appeals. Presently active in six claims with more coming in.
• The VA sent out a message for all those who are presently attending classes requesting to verify their attendance in class. DO NOT IGNORE THIS! Reply back quickly.
• There is a rumor going around that the VAOPC Manila will be closing. Presently the VAOPC Manila Staff are saying that those rumors are false. We encourage all veterans and families to contact their legislators (Senators and Congresspersons) letting them know that the VAOPC Manila provides important services to the veterans located in Manila.
• The Assistant Department Service Officer is doing Face to Face consultation for VA claims on an appointment basis.
• Post Service Officer Report:
• Post Service Officer is working on five cases with three more backed up (awaiting more information).
• Post Service Officer attended the VA VSO meeting on Controlled drugs…VA will not issue controlled drugs on October 1, 2022. (see attachments).
• PSO encourages members to write their congressmen to have VA FMP hire more people to help expedite claims and to have FMP disburse reimbursements electronically
• Assistant Service Officer provided VA/FMP/Tricare assistance to 44 veterans, spouses and widow’s and attended 9 burials at the ABMC Clark Veterans Cemetery.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
• COMMANDERS REPORT: Attached
• SURGEON: None
• JUDGE ADVOCATE: None
• CHAPLAIN: None
• HISTORIAN: None
• SAFETY OFFICER: Attached
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All CSRs shall be inputted on the new VFW DPA page at www.vfwpacific.org
• Community Service Report Totals: Hours-2,107, Miles-9,978, Member’s-1,540, Donated- $17,020.81
• BUDDY POPPY: 520 pesos collected at today’s meeting.
• NATIONAL HOME: Attached
• POW/MIA: Attached
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: None
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
• SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: None
• SEAM SQUIRREL: None
• CCO COMMITTEE: We are considering locations for our upcoming Chili Cook-Off in November. Comrade Aukshun and other members visited the Bella’s resort /Sunset view (formally JD’s), in Bauang. The outcome of this visit was very positive. Comrade Aukshun made a motion to have the event at this location, seconded by comrade Reyes, after much discussion it was decided that we should wait until the May meeting to make a final decision. Therefore, the motion was deferred until next meeting. This was done in an effort to research this proposed plan more thoroughly.
A motion was made by comrade Brozowski to accept all committee reports, seconded by comrade Rodgers, no discussion. motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by comrade Rodgers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Post 9892 Birthday celebration has been on hold for over two years, we will schedule this in conjunction with the Memorial Day Celebration. More information will be provided in the May minutes.
• A motion was made by comrade St.Onge to change the date of the June 14th general membership meeting to June 21st because the Department Convention is scheduled for the week of 12th and some members will be attending, motion seconded by comrade Aukshun, no discussion, motion approved.
• Elections were completed and the new officers were elected. Comrade Spain made a motion to cast one unanimous vote to accept all of the newly elected officers, seconded by comrade Bridges, no discussion, motion approved. An installation ceremony was conducted by District 7 Commander, Bobby Reyes. The new officers will assume their new responsibilities after the Department Convention in June. Congratulations to the new officers, as follows:
o CMDR Charlie Spain
o SVC Andrew Dzurissin “DZ”
o JVC Pete Brozowski
o QM Tim Aukshun
o Chaplain Jim Rodgers
o Trustee 1 Fred (moving up)
o Trustee 2 Roscoe McGlynn
o Trustee 3 Garret Bridges
• In accordance with the by-laws the following comrades were elected to be the Post primary and alternate delegates for District 7, Department of Pacific and National Conventions. A motion was made by comrade Auskshun to approve these nominations, seconded by comrade Bridges, no discussion, motion approved. The elected delegates for the new term are as follows:
o Primary: Bobby Reyes, Bud St.Onge, Charlie Spain, Andrew Dzurissin, Tim Aukshun, Pete Brozowski, Rhett Webber, Garrett Bridges.
o Alternates: Roscoe McGlynn, Sonny English, Fred Russian, James Rodgers, John Mesaros, Michael Grider, John Keller, Allen Wilson.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Comrade Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front and to get involved in the VFW “running membership drive”.
• The new Department of Pacific Areas Webpage is www.vfwpacific.org Log in to Members Only to input CSR data using the member’s VFW membership number and your last name as the password. The post must report 110% from last year’s CSR reports to maintain eligibility for All-American. The deadline for submissions is April 30th.
• See our VFW 9892 Website entitled, “VA Survivors Benefits”. Here veterans and survivors can find information on filing and be able to download forms. There are many links to documents on our Website. We have been receiving positive feedback on its content. Of interest is the link “Planning Your Legacy”. It is a rather large download as this is a book that will give guidance to the veteran and family. www.vfwpost9892.com We have a link to the page on our Facebook also.
• In order to qualify for All State, the post needs a total of 13 new members. This will be a challenging undertaking and we need members to actively recruit those Veterans that are eligible for VFW membership that have not joined. Get the word out!
• The District 7 convention will be held on April 21, 2022 at 1000. Officers call will be at 0900, at the Travel Lite hotel in Baguio City, hosted by Post 124. This will be a face to face meeting, however if you are interested in attending via zoom, contact Commander Reyes for an access code.
• The Department of Pacific Areas convention will be held at the Oasis Hotel in Angeles City June 12 – 16, 2022. • VA ID: Make sure you have two photo IDs (Retirement ID/ card, US Passport, etc.), in addition to the photo ID that you will need to leave at the check-in desk.
• FRA Chili Cookoff: At this time, we would like to thank comrade Mesaros for representing Post 9892 and Pup Tent 7 at the FRA Chili Cookoff held earlier this month. And once again comrade Mesaros demonstrated his superior skill in cooking Chili. Out of a competitive field of 12 contestants, he took first place.
• DPA convention: This is important information from the DPA Commander, Kevin Mitchell concerning the Online Registration for our DPA Convention. This is the first time we are using the new DPA database, so for those who remember the ways of the past, we must adjust to the new version. I am sure improvements will be made. At the top of the form after the header it tells you to copy the form to your computer and then fill it out and send it to the Convention Chair and cc Augie. Augie will then create the excel file recap sheet. All fields work if you download the form first. Augie has also made a short tutorial on how to fill in the form. He will add it to the DPA website. This process has been tested and it works. Comrades will see Convention information on our DPA site vfwpacific.org and there is a Slider that can be clicked. Visit the DPA website for contact information.
50/50 DRAWING: 50/50: Total 1000 pesos. Comrade Rodgers won the drawing and received 500 pesos and the post received 500 pesos.
BUDDY POPPY: None
The meeting closed at 1200 hours in accordance with the VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be May 10, 2022 @ 1000, at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union and also via Zoom.