MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 12 October 2021
Due to the Enhanced Community Quarantine and travel restrictions throughout the Republic of the Philippines, this meeting was conducted using group video conferencing with the Zoom Application. Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting were conducted in accordance with the Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by Chaplain Rogers.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS:
• Commander – Rhett Webber – Excused
• Senior Vice Commander – Andrew Dzurissin– Present
• Junior Vice Commander – Edward “Pete” Brozowski– Present
• Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun- Present
• Chaplain - James Rodgers -Absent
• Trustee One – Garret Bridges - Present
• Trustee Two – Fred Russian – Present
• Trustee Three –Roscoe McGlynn – Present
• Adjutant – Bud St.Onge - Excused
• Judge Advocate – Bud St.Onge – Excused
• Surgeon –Andrew Dzurissin—Present
• Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Excused
• Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present
• Assistant Service Officer – Rhett Webber - Excused
• Scholarship Committee Chairman—Tim Aukshun—Present
• Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber – Excused
• National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Excused
• Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
• Historian—Pete Brozowski—Present
• OOD—Garrett Bridges - Present
Commander Pro Tempore Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders. o Current District 7 Commander and past Post Commander: Bobby Reyes o Past All American District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Tim Aukshun
There were 8 members in attendance.
DRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: None
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the September 14, 2021 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes, as distributed and posted, was made by Comrade Brozowski, seconded by Comrade McGlynn. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Aukshun. A motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report, as audited, was made by QM Aukshun, seconded by Comrade Brozowski. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: A letter was distributed to all posts within the DPA, written by the Department Chief of Staff, Pete Callaghan. He is asking for members to email him the details of their dealings with the FMP and to document the terrible service they received from that program. The more specific examples of FMP’s shortcomings we have, the more likely our complaints will not fall on deaf ears. It is important to provide him with specifics – names, dates (month and year), and details of the FMP’s poor performance. The complete letter is an attachment to September’s minutes and can also be found in the August 2021 edition of the Pacific Times. Inputs may also be submitted to District 7 JVC Barry Larson.
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• JVC Brozowski reports that Comrade Joe Dager was taken to the hospital this morning with life-threatening issues. More to follow after the meeting.
• JD Keller, is convalescing at home.
• Larry Purdy is convalescing at home.
• Jim Kiper is convalescing at home. • Dave Ransom is convalescing at home.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
•VAOPC Manila will continue to have telephone appointments until further notice, although they do have limited face-to-face appointments. We advise that you check with them before your appointment, to confirm it. Ensure that they have your current phone number on file, as they will be contacting you by phone or by secure messaging in My Healthy Vet. There are strict guidelines that must be followed for clinic visits. Some specialty doctors are no longer available at the clinic. Check with the clinic to confirm your options for receiving specialty care. In most cases, you will have to be treated by a private doctor and seek reimbursement from FMP (Foreign Medical Plan). The VA can also provide you with a VES exam with a local doctor at no cost to the Veteran.
• The VAOPC Manila is no longer administering vaccines. They are waiting for the Pfizer booster to arrive and will contact those who received the two Pfizer shots the VAOPC Manila. More information on this will be provided as soon as it is available.
• VA's Debt Management Center resumed sending debt notification letters on October 1, 2021. If you owe money to VA for an overpayment related to VBA benefits, here is what you need to know. VA automatically deferred collection on VBA benefit debts created on or after April 6, 2020, through September 30, 2021, to provide relief from the COVID-19 pandemic. Benefit debts created before April 6, 2020, had collection deferred upon request. VA also paused all collection activity on debts under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of the Treasury until September 30, 2021. Most VBA benefit debts are collected by the VA Debt Management Center (DMC). This includes debts for benefits, like compensation, pension, and education. If VBA created a debt for you while the collection was deferred, you likely received informational letters from DMC letting you know your debt existed, but you didn’t need to act until after September 30 unless you chose to do so. For more information on resumption of debt collection, check out the latest information on https://blogs.va.gov/VAntage/95184/debt-management-center-what-you-need-to-know-about-vba-debts-and-debt-relief/
• Medicare open enrollment for 2022 coverage starts on October 15, 2021, and continues through December 7 for those wishing to change their plan. For those who wish to reenroll or did not enroll in Medicare during their initial period, the open enrolment is January 1, 2022, to March 31, 2022. Learn how you can change your Medicare coverage outside of the fall open enrollment period. When is Medicare open enrollment? www.medicareresources.org
• The graveside funeral services for Navy Veteran Vergil Vergara is put on hold until possibly next month. .
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
• COMMANDERS REPORT: Sent via email
• SURGEON: Sent via email
• JUDGE ADVOCATE: None
• CHAPLAIN: None
• HISTORIAN: None
• SAFETY OFFICER: Sent via email
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All CSRs shall be inputted on the new VFW DPA page at www.vfwpacific.org
• BUDDY POPPY: None
• NATIONAL HOME: Sent via email
• POW/MIA: Sent via email
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: None
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
• SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: None
• SEAM SQUIRREL: PT-7 meeting to follow VFW meeting
A motion was made by Comrade Reyes to accept all committee reports, seconded by Comrade McGlynn. Some discussion. Motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by Comrade Reyes, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Post 9892 Birthday celebration is on hold and will be scheduled once we have our first physical GMM at Crown & Anchor.
• CCO drawing; The annual raffle normally held at the CCO event will now be held at our December 14 Post meeting. This is a change from the November 27 date previously posted and written on the tickets. This change is necessary to allow time to get all the tickets returned to us.
• Comrade McGlynn suggests that we consider having a VFW Auxiliary associated with the post. Comrade Aukshun made a motion to consider this, seconded by Comrade Bridges, much discussion followed, Comrade Brozoswski suggest that more information should be provided to the post membership before we finalize this. Therefore, Comrade Aukshun deferred the motion until the next meeting.
• The Naguillian High School in Naguillian, La Union needs two printers for the school administration. Comrade Aukshun made a motion for the post to fund these, for up to 15,000 pesos. Motion seconded by Comrade Bridges, some discussion, motion approved. Any costs above the approved amount will be covered by Comrade Aukshun.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
•Comrade Reyes passed to Comrade Bridges to accept the invitation as Administrator on our Facebook page. SVC Dzurrisen and ADJ St Onge have already been listed as Administrators on the page. Comrade Reyes will remove his name as Administrator.
• Comrade Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front and to get involved in the VFW “running membership drive”.
• The new Department of Pacific Areas Webpage is www.vfwpacific.org Log in to Members Only to input CSR data using the member’s VFW membership number and your last name as the password. The post must report 110% from last year’s CSR reports to maintain eligibility for All-American.
• VA ID: If you or a dependent need to replace a VA ID card, inform the receptionist, when you arrive for a scheduled appointment at the clinic and they will direct you to the staff that can help you. You must have a clinic appointment in order to request this additional service. Make sure you have two photo IDs (Retirement ID/ card, US Passport, etc., to show at the check-in desk.
• See our VFW 9892 Website entitled, “VA Survivors Benefits”. Here veterans and survivors can find information on filing and be able to download forms. There are many links to documents on our Website. We have been receiving positive feedback on its content. Of interest is the link “Planning Your Legacy”. It is a rather large download as this is a book that will give guidance to the veteran and family. www.vfwpost9892.com We have a link to the page on our Facebook also.
• The deadline for submission of contestants for the annual Patriots Pen award and Voice of Democracy is October 31, 2021. For more information on this, contact Commander Webber • The post-annual inspection is in progress.
50/50 DRAWING: None
BUDDY POPPY: P500
The meeting closed at 1010 hours in accordance with the VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be November 9, 2021 @ 0900, at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union. However, if we are still in quarantine, we will have the meeting via Zoom.