Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Carr.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS:
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Donald Carr – Present
Junior Vice Commander – Pete Brozowski – Excused
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers--Absent
Trustee One – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Two – John Mesaros – Absent
Trustee Three – Garrett Bridges -Present
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Don Carr - Present
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Don Carr – Present
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Excused
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Excused
Assistant Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun – Absent
OOD – Wes Kerlin -- Absent
Historian - Pete Brozowski - Excused
Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
• Garrett Bridges – OOD
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Past Department Commander: Rhett Webber
o Present District 7 Commander: Bud St Onge
o Past District 7 Commander: Rhett Webber, Charles Spain
o Past Post Commanders: Rhett Webber
o Junior Past Commander Bud St Onge
• Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel Rhett Webber
There were 10 members in attendance.
UNDRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY:
The Post Charter was un-Draped in memory of VFW Post 9892 Life Member Roger B Forseth.
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: : The Minutes from the November 12, 2019 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Carr, seconded by Comrade Webber. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Charles Spain. Motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report as audited was made by Comrade Spain and Seconded by Comrade Carr. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS:A reminder that we have to still pay $50 to National for the increase in VMS donations which went to $100. $50 was already paid. QM Spain reports that the on-line system has problems with it and will send a check to the VFW National VMS Program.
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Kiper had a stroke and will probably need some assistance with Home Care. Action to Service Officer for follow-up.
• Inquiry on the health status of Comrade George Bowling…more to follow-up.
• James Rodgers is ill at home
• Roger Limle is at Lorma Hospital in room 322
• Greg Korder of VFW Post 2485, Angeles City passed away.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Lorma Hospital still does not bill FMP directly due to slow payments by FMP. VAOPC Manila is still aware of this issue and will be brought up again at the next Teleconference. Nearest places for utilization of FMP are:
o Divine Grace Medical Center Cavite, Philippines
o Manila Doctors Hospital Manila, Philippines
o Unihealth Baypointe Hospital Olongapo, Philippines
o Sacred Heart Medical Center Angeles City, Philippines
o The Medical City Clark Angeles City, Philippines
o Avitus Kidney Care and Dialysis Center Olongapo, Philippines
o The Medical City, Iloilo Iloilo, Philippines
o SUSPENDED: The Medical City Ortigas, Pasig City Metro Manila
• There is an increase of Polio in the Philippines (Epidemic?) and the VA is being asked if we need a Polio Booster. Comrade Bridges reports that the Rotary Club is giving free Oral Polio Vaccines for children Fiver years old and below.
• Contact Tricare Nurses at Lorma Medical Center for questions or concerns on Tricare Overseas Select.
• Bluewater Navy review starts on January 1, so get you claims in before that time to be seen when they start otherwise with the amount of claims expected to be seen newer claims presented under “Bluewater Navy” may be pushed back.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Distributed via email.
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Noting to report
CHAPLAIN: Prayers for our departed comrade, Tom Darkus and family.
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Distributed via email.
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
COMMUNITY SERVICE: : All Community Service Reports go to Junior Vice Commander Pete Brozowski. firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND:: Report was read by Comrade Webber
SEAM SQUIRREL: Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
CHILI COOK-OFF: CCO: 16 teams entered and 14 teams cooked. Much fun was had by all. CCO Financial report was presented. The event was a success, thanks to all those that assisted.
NATIONAL HOME: Distributed via email
POW/MIA: Sent to email distribution.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT:
o Commander Reyes reports 100% in membership. Keep the press on membership! We will try to have our Membership Drive in the first week in January. We need to get our backboard design done.
o Membership Committee Chairman, JVC Carr states that we need to get our membership drive going. There will be a Membership Committee Meeting at 0800, January 14th before the General Membership Meeting to discuss the Membership Drive table at CSI, San Fernando City, La Union.
BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Bridges seconded by Comrade Carr, some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME:A prayer was said by Post Chaplain appointee, Comrade Carr, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on hold. See Membership Committee notes.
• The Post Membership Appreciation/Christmas Luncheon will be held today at 1 PM, at Final Option Restaurant. Same policy as last year where the post will cover the first P500 of the “member in good standing’s” bill.
• The Children’s Christmas Party, at Wow Dili Elementary School in neighborhood school in Barangay Dili, Bauang was held December 16. Comrades Spain, Bridges (Santa) and their girlfriends Nila and Mae provided the Christmas spirit to the children with food, drinks and gifts. Outstanding job!
• Comrade John Kelly asked about the feasibility of having a WWII monument set up on the beach in San Fabian. Trying to get somebody to contact the local government in San Fabian. A member brought up that Bacsil Ridge also needed some work and we will look at that also. We can use VFW National Grant money for this project if possible. Comrade Bridges and othes will go to Bacsil Ridge to see if upkeep, if any, can be performed at the Bacsil Ridge Monument. FAME and AMCHAN should be contacted if necessary.
• We had a fund raising event scheduled for the La Union Hash Harriers, celebrating their 1776th run on January 18, 2020 at Tropical Garden. They are requesting us to cook the meals for them. Considering the high risk of not recovering our investment for the food, we discussed whether or not we should do this. A motion was made by Comrade Bridges to not participate in the event, seconded by Comrade Webber, some discussion, motion approved. We will not be participating.
• The VFW Stainless Steel Grill is still at Paradise as well as the Point to Point Register. A motion to move the Stainless Steel Grill to Crown & Anchor on loan and to dispose of the point to point register was made by CDR Reyes. Seconded by Comrade XXX. Discussion. Motion passed. Comrades Edwards, Dzurissin and Bridges will move the grill and pass the register to Comrade Aukshun for disposal.
• Post Inspection will be performed at our next Post meeting. Past District 7 Commander Fores has been assigned as inspector. He and our QM will communicate with each other.
• January will be the last month for the School Program. We are looking for somebody to take over the program that Roger Limle has been doing for a great many years. If we have no volunteers then we will vote to shut down the program in January and redistribute the School Funds monies back to the General Fund.
• We will hold our District 7 Meeting on Friday, April 17. We need to find a venue for the event. Motion to have our District 7 Meeting on April 17 by CDR Reyes; Seconded by Comrade Bridges. Discussion. Motion Passed.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Start planning for the Post Birthday Party on June 7, 2020. We will need to form a committee.
• Comrades, Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
• DPA CofA held in Phnom Peng on December 6-8. CDR Reyes and Post Adjutant/District 7 CDR St Onge were in attendance.
• Comrade Webber attended the 75th Anniversary of the sinking of the “Hell ship” in Subic Bay.
• DPA convention is in Bangkok, Thailand in June 13-17. Windsor Suites Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand.
• VFW Post 11447 will hold their annual Beach Bash in February 7, 8, and 9th 2020.
• VFW Post 124 will hold their Fun Day also in February in conjunction with the District 7 Meeting and not with the Golf Tournament, February 17, 2020.
• Space “A” is available at Clark Field…see instructions that are posted on our Facebook page and what I sent out to you all via E-mail and see the additional form required to gain access to Haribon Air Base.
• Consider having a CofA here in La Union for December 2020.
• Recommendations and write-ups are coming due for DPA Outstanding Awards.
• Post Elections will be held in April, 1st nomination will be at our GMM in February 2020, while 2nd nominations will be held at our GMM in March 2020.
• Philibel’s name has been changed to Crown & Anchor Resto.
• The US Embassy American Citizen Services, Social Security Administration, and the VA Manila Regional Office and Outpatient Clinic are tentatively scheduled to participate in the following Outreach events. Regional Office staff will be available to assist with questions regarding pension and benefit claims, and Outpatient Clinic staff will be able to schedule appointments, provide wellness checkups, and will have flu and pneumonia vaccines available.
• • Angeles City, Pampanga • Date: Thursday, January 16, 2020 • Time : 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. • Venue : Clark Marriott Hotel • 5400 Manuel Roxas Highway, Clark Freeport, Mabalacat, Pampanga
• • Olongapo City, Zambales • Date: Friday, January 17, 2020 • Time : 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. • Venue: Mansion Garden Hotel • Dewey Avenue cor. Bonifacio St., Subic Bay Freeport, Olongapo City
• Special Events this Month until the next meeting:
• December 25: Christmas Day
• December 26: Boxing Day
• December 30: Rizal Day
• January 1: New Years
50/50 DRAWING: Total P1100 pesos. The winner was Comrade Bridges. The Post will receive P550.
BUDDY POPPY: P460, which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1030 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 14 January 2020 @ 9:00 a.m. at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union.