MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 10 August 2021
Due to the Enhanced Community Quarantine and travel restrictions throughout the Republic of the Philippines, this meeting was conducted using group video conferencing with the Zoom Application. Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting were conducted in accordance with the Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by Chaplain Rogers.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS:
• Commander – Rhett Webber – Present
• Senior Vice Commander – Andrew Dzurissin– Present
• Junior Vice Commander – Edward “Pete” Brozowski– Present
• Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun- Present
• Chaplain - James Rodgers-Present
• Trustee One – Garret Bridges - Present
• Trustee Two – Fred Russian – Present
• Trustee Three –Roscoe McGlynn – Present
• Adjutant – Bud St.Onge - Present
• Judge Advocate – Bud St.Onge – Present
• Surgeon –Andrew Dzurissin—Present
• Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
• Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present
• Assistant Service Officer – Rhett Webber - Present
• Scholarship Committee Chairman—Tim Aukshun—Present
• Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber – Present
• National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
• Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
• Historian—Pete Brozowski—Present
• OOD—Garrett Bridges - Present
Senior Vice Commander Dzurissin recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Current District 7 Commander and past Post Commander: Bobby Reyes
o Past All American District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Tim Aukshun
o Past District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Bud St. Onge
There were 11 members in attendance.
Senior Vice Commander Dzurissin conducted today’s meeting because Commander Webber was experiencing audio problems with his internet/computer. Although he did attend the meeting and participated when he could.
DRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: None
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: Robert Pumares submitted an application to transfer to our post. His application was approved. Comrade Reyes made a motion to accept Comrade Pumares as a transfer, seconded by Comrade Brozowski. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the May 11, 2021 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes, as distributed and posted, was made by Comrade St.Onge, seconded by Comrade Bridges. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Minutes from the July 13, 2021 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes, as distributed and posted, was made by Comrade Brozowski, seconded by Comrade Reyes. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• JD Keller, is convalescing at home.
• Larry Purdy is convalescing at home.
• Jim Kiper is convalescing at home.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• VAOPC Manila is now hosting VA Training by subject matter experts through Zoom in the USA. I will will be inviting D7 District and Post Service Officer to attend these one hour long training sessions. VA OPC Manila is seeking suggestions for future trainig sessions. Next training session will be on Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance, including Chapter 35.
• Unmet Needs may now be used overseas. Unmet Needs are to pay for rent, utilities, cellphone bills and car payments, etc. It may also be used to cover medical expenses if not covered by Tricare or FMP. The applicant must “sell it” to Lynn Rolf, VFW UNMET NEEDS Coordinator. Vets must apply directly to the Office On-line and must be receiving VA Pension or Disability to be eligible.
• CLAIMS: A reminder to look at our post Webpage and you will find the documents that most people would use to file a claim. Your post service officer and District Service Officer can assist you. The post Service Officer will forward the paperwork through the District 7 Service Officer and Assistant Department Service Officer. Claimants can set up a Zoom or telephone appointment with the Post Service Officer using the Email SO9892@vfwpacific.org VA Form 21-22 must be filled out giving the VFW Power of Attorney to assist with the claim.
• VAOPC Manila will continue to have telephone appointments until further notice, although they do have limited face to face appointments. We advise that you check with them prior to your appointment, to confirm it. Ensure that they have your current phone number on file, as they will be contacting you by phone or by secure messaging in My Healthy Vet. There are strict guidelines that must be followed for clinic visits. Some specialty doctors are no longer available at the clinic. Check with the clinic to confirm your options for receiving specialty care. In most cases you will have to be treated by a private doctor and seek reimbursement from FMP (Foreign Medical Plan).The VA can also provide you a VES exam with a local doctor at no cost to the Veteran.
• See our VFW 9892 Website entitled, “VA Survivors Benefits”. Here veterans and survivors can find information on filing and be able to download forms. There are many links to documents on our Website. We have been receiving positive feedback on its content. Of interest is the link “Planning Your Legacy”. It is a rather large download as this is a book that will give guidance to the veteran and family. www.vfwpost9892.com We have a link to the page on our Facebook also.
• Phone numbers for VA Manila.Sent via email.
• Update on the Covid Vaccines provided by the VA Manila. Sent via email
• SRRV (Special Resident Retirement Visa) requirements. This program is now open to eligible applicants. Details sent via email.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
JUDGE ADVOCATE: None
SAFETY OFFICER: Emailed
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE:
• BUDDY POPPY: None
• NATIONAL HOME: Emailed
• POW/MIA: Emailed
•MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: None
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: 2021 – 2022 budget sent via email
• SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: None
• SEAM SQUIRREL: PT-7 meeting to follow VFW meeting
• CHILI COOK OFF: See unfinished business
A motion was made by Comrade Reyes to accept all committee reports, seconded by Comrade Rodgers. Some discussion. Motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by Chaplin Rodgers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Post 9892 Birthday celebration is on hold and will be scheduled once we have our first physical GMM at Crown & Anchor.
• CHILI COOK OFF: We are still working on the feasibility of having a CCO event later this year. We are proceeding with our planning with anticipation that it will be acceptable to travel and have an assembly of people at a public event. A final decision was expected to be made at this meeting. However, we need to delay our final decision on this until the September meeting. Comrade Brozowski has been putting a lot of effort into trying to make this event happen. He will be meeting with some key players in the community to discuss it. Therefore, we will need some addition time. Next meetings minutes will reflect the final decision. Our raffle, which has always been a part of the CCO, will take place regardless, as we did last year. As in the past we expect each member to be responsible to purchase and sell 1 book of tickets. Each book contains 10 tickets and will be sold for 500 pesos for each ticket, 5000 pesos per book. We need your support in selling these tickets. Contact Tim Aukshun at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve tickets.
• The Realization of the Sustainable Livelihood project in Bacnotan, initiated and managed by Comrade Brozowski, is now complete. This will be submitted to the DPA as a successfully completed community service project.
NEW BUSINESS:• There may be Comrades, Spouses/family members of members that may need assistance in transportation to receive the COVID vaccine either locally or at the VA clinic. Comrade Bridges made a motion that the post would assist them in getting the necessary transportation. Motion seconded by Comrade Brozowski, some discussion, motion approved. Also Post 2485 in Angeles and Post 124 in Baguio are coordinating rides to get to the Manila clinic.
• The VAOPC Manila is providing the J&J Vaccine to ALL veterans until September 21st, or until they run out. Contact the VAOPC Manila to schedule an appointment to receive the shot. It is only for a limited time that the vaccine(s) will be offered to veterans' spouses and widows. Please get the word out and plan ahead. The vaccines availability has been extended until September 21st for spouses and widows. All those interested must register and they are advised to make an appointment. Walk ins may be accommodated but there is no guarantee that they will be seen the day you are there. If you make an appointment, you will be guaranteed to receive the vaccine. When their supply runs out, they have to wait for another shipment. Get your vaccine by September 21st. We will keep you updated on this each month.
• The Budget is complete. Comrade Aukshun made a motion to accept the budget as submitted, seconded by Comrade Brozowski, no discussion, motion approved. It is an attachment to the minutes.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Comrade Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front and to get involved in the VFW “running membership drive”.
• The new Department of Pacific Areas Webpage is www.vfwpacific.org Log in to Members Only to input CSR data using the member’s VFW membership number and your last name as the password.
• District 7 Commander Reyes reminds everyone to follow the District and Department chain of command for addressing whatever issues or questions you have. Officers and Committee chairman have prescribed responsibilities and these people should be contacted first to address issues. This will allow the process to work much smoother.
• There has been a letter circulating throughout the Veterans community labeled the Veterans Alliance Petition, seeking support for vaccines being made available to U.S. Citizens residing in the Philippines. If you support this initiative, you may sign it as an individual. Do not make any reference of being a member of the VFW. The VFW organization has not taken a position on this as of this date and until further guidance is provided by our National Office, it will remain neutral.
• VA ID: If you or a dependent and need to replace a VA ID card, inform the receptionist, when you arrive for a scheduled appointment at the clinic and they will direct you to the staff that can help you. You must have a clinic appointment in order to request this additional service.
50/50 DRAWING: None
BUDDY POPPY: P500
Meeting closed at 0950 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 14 September, 2021 @ 0900, at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union. However, if we are still in quarantine, we will have the meeting via Zoom.