Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by Post Chaplain, Comrade Rodgers.
Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
• Garrett Bridges – OOD
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS:
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Donald Carr – Absent
Junior Vice Commander – Pete Brozowski – Present
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers -- Present
Trustee One – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Two – John Mesaros – Present
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Don Carr - Absent
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Don Carr – Absent
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun – Present
Historian – Pete Brozowski - Present
There were 13 members in attendance.
Trustee Three – Garrett Bridges -- Present
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Past Department Commander: Rhett Webber
o Present District 7 Commander: Bud St Onge
o Past District 7 Commander: Rhett Webber, Charles Spain
o Past Post Commanders: Rhett Webber
o Junior Past Commander Bud St Onge
• Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel Rhett Webber
There were 10 members in attendance.
UNDRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: Thankfully, none
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: : The Minutes from the January 14, 2020 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Rodgers, seconded by Comrade Aukshun. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Charles Spain. Motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report as audited was made by Comrade Spain and Seconded by Comrade Webber. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: QM Spain stated that we are up to date with all budgeted items
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Kiper confined at home. Comrade Aukshun said that he will visit him on his way back from his trip.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Service Officer Report was presented by District 7 Service Officer Rhett Webber.
o Bluewater Navy eligibility issues have added 14 more to the list. Review these and if you are eligible then refile and the date of your filing will go back to the original date of your original filing.
o For those who need to find out if your ship is eligible for filing for Bluewater Navy, the VA has a map of ship locations for the period in question.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Distributed via email.
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Absent
CHAPLAIN: Prayers for our departed comrade, Tom Darkus and family.
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Distributed via email.
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports go to Junior Vice Commander Pete Brozowski. email@example.com.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND: The last School Report was read by Comrade Roger Limle. Commander Reyes put out a plea for anybody interested to stand up and volunteer to take over from Roger for this very worthy project. We should continue with our support of the schools even if De Guzman is the only one. We also have not sponsored a student for a school scholarship/grant in a while and we should be looking into that.
SEAM SQUIRREL: Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
CHILI COOK-OFF: We need to start planning ahead for the next CCO. We need to have all gears moving by the beginning of the new VFW term when the new officers take their positions in June after the DPA Convention. We are looking for a Comrade willing to be the 2020 - 2021 Chairman.
NATIONAL HOME: Distributed via email
POW/MIA: Sent to email distribution.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT:
Commander Reyes reports 100% in membership. Keep the press on membership! Membership Committee needs to meet to plan out the Membership Drive at CSI..
BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Bridges seconded by Comrade Rodgers, some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME:A prayer was said by temporary appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Rodgers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on hold. See Membership Committee notes.
• Comrade John Kelly asked about the feasibility of having a WWII monument set up on the beach in San Fabian. Trying to get somebody to contact the local government in San Fabian. A member brought up that Bacsil Ridge also needed some work and it looked like it didn’t need any help from us. We can use VFW National Grant money for this project if possible. Comrades Edwards and Kelly will get together and see if the Local Government would even want to have a memorial at or near San Fabian. Awaiting any news from Comrades Kelly. Commander Reyes stated that we should not lose an opportunity to use VFW national Grant money to fund our project to benefit our local area and for comrades to come up with ideas ad the new season is quickly coming up in June.
• We still need to locate a venue for our District 7 Meeting on April 17. Commander Reyes said that we must come up with a venue by the next meeting.
• We will open our nominations for the following officer positions at our March 10 meeting, with final nominations and elections at our April 14 meeting. Nominations will be open for the following positions: Commander, Senior Vice Commander, Junior Vice Commander, Quartermaster, Surgeon, Trustee 3 and Chaplain.
• Our District 7 quarterly meeting will be held on Friday, April 17. Location will be posted in next month’s minutes.
• Post Birthday Party. The official anniversary date of establishing Post 9892 Charter is June 7th, however it was decided that this doesn’t need to be on held on that exact date. as it can be a birth-month instead. The DPA Convention is the 13th -17th of June, in Bangkok Thailand. Therefor a motion was made by Commander Bridges to reschedule our June post meeting to June 23rd, with the post party to take place on that same date immediately after the VFW and PT-7 meeting. This will allow people that are attending the DPA convention to attend the post meeting and birthday celebration. All elected and appointed positions will assume their new positions after the DPA Convention. Motion was seconded Comrade Rodgers. Discussion, Motion approved.
• Comrade Brozowski volunteered his prowess as the party planner and will chair a committee for the Post Birthday Party .
• Comrade Carr has stepped down from his post officer positions of Senior Vice Commander, Judge Advocate and Service Officer due to him moving to the Subic area and transferring his membership to Post 11447. Comrade Brozowski will naturally move up to Senior Vice Commander and Comrade Michael Grider was nominated and elected to fill the position of Junior Vice Commander until the end of the present VFW term. Commander Reyes appointed Comrade Brozowski to fill in the positions of Judge Advocate and Membership Committee Chairman until the close of the present VFW term.
• Commander Reyes appointed Comrade Webber to fill in the position of Post Service Officer until the end of the present VFW term in June.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Comrades, Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
• DPA convention is in Bangkok, Thailand in June 13-17. Windsor Suites Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand.
• Commander Reyes represented our post and sponsored the VFW Post 11447 Annual Beach Bash in February 7, 8, and 9th 2020. Much fun was had by all.
• VFW Post 124 will hold their Fun Day also on February 16, 2020 at Europa Condominium, Baguio, at 1000. Donation of P500 for attendees. The District 7 Meeting is on February 17, 2020 at the Travel Lite Hotel-Legarda Road, Baguio, with Officer Call at 0930.
• Our scheduled hospital visit has been canceled due to no patients to visit.
• At our next post meeting of March 10, we will elect our delegates for the District, DPA and National Conventions.
• Special Events this Month until the next meeting:
o February 7-9: Barrio Beach Bash
• February 12: Lincoln’s Birthday
• February 19: President’s Day
50/50 DRAWING: Total P1200 pesos. The winner was Comrade St Onge. The Post will receive P600.
BUDDY POPPY: P540, which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1030 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 10 March 2020 @ 0900 at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union.