Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
Tim Aukshun – OOD
Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander - Andrew Dzurissin – Present
Junior Vice Commander – Tim Aukshun – Present
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers – Present
Trustee One – Garrett Bridges -Present
Trustee Two – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Three – John Mesaros – Present
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Don Carr - Present
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski - Present
There were 16 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees: All current and past Seam Squirrels, Post Commanders, District Officers and Department Officers.
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: Wesley G Kerlin: USAF(Retired), GWOT-Korea, Life Membership. Motioned to accept membership made by Comrade Bridges; seconded by Comrade Brozowski. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the March 12, 2019 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. QM Spain said that the amount he received for the 50/50 drawing from the March 12, 2019 meeting was 1000 pesos not 900, as reflected in the minutes. A correction will be made in the permanent copy of the March Post Meeting. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed as posted and corrected on the permanent copy was made by Comrade Bridges, seconded by Comrade Dzurissin. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by Comrade Spain. All programs are adequately funded indicating that our financial status is good. Income and projected expenses were also discussed with no immediate concerns. Comrade Webber made a motion to accept the quartermaster’s report, subject to audit. Motion was seconded by Comrade Rodgers No discussion, motion approved.
READING OF BILLS:
• Pete Brozowski: $134.95 for Web Page Subscription.
• Pete Brozowski: P53,495.00 reimbursement for expenses for Bacnotan project. Motion to pay bills made by QM Spain; seconded by Comrade Aukshun. No discussion. Motion approved.
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Mann is presently at the Bridges of Hope in Angeles City recovering.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Lorma Hospital still does not bill FMP directly due to slow payments by FMP. VAOPC Manila is still aware of this issue and will be brought up again at the next Teleconference.
• VA Secretary has withdrawn his opposition to Blue Water Navy which is a positive step towards getting the votes for approval in the Senate.
• Comrade Webber adds that when we assist others with their VA claims we need to ensure that they fill out a VA Form 21-0845 authorizing us to assist them as a third party.
• Memorandum from VAOPC Manila distributed via email.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Distributed via email.
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Donald Carr is the interim JA.
CHAPLAIN: Prayers for our departed comrade, Tom Darkus and family.
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
COMMUNITY SERVICE: Continue performing community service and document your monthly participation by submitting to Junior Vice Commander Aukshun. Be sure to provide the number of volunteers, number of hours worked, number of miles traveled and the total amount spent. Send to Twaukshun@yahoo.com Keep up the good work.
SAFETY REPORT: Woodworking brief sent via email distribution.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND: Comrade Roger Limle read his School Report to the members.
SEAM SQUIRREL: Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
CHILI COOK-OFF: It was suggested that our theme for our next Chili Cook-Off will be “Alligator Chili” and that we should start selling our main 50/50 CCO Raffle Tickets earlier. We’ll finalize at the next meeting.
NATIONAL HOME: April is Month of the Military Child. Additional information sent via email.
POW/MIA: Sent to email distribution.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Our Membership is presently 103.43%. This puts us #116 in Division 4, Nationally. We need to be in the top 50 to gain All-American honors which presently is 106.36%. We need eight more members to reach it. Three Life Memberships to get the DPA Membership stipend.
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Bridges, seconded by Comrade Carr, some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by temporarily appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Update on the Barroro/McPherson Project Action: Work has commenced on the project. Comrade Brozowski asked about the dedication plaque and was told how the post wanted it done. He will continue monitoring and let the barangay know about the plaque.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on hold. We will wait until they contact us after they finish their remodeling. Commander Reyes said that we still need to make a backdrop for our membership table as we will have a 2X2 meter area to work with; also we need to order recruiting material from the VFW Store ahead of time.
• The venue for our next D7 Convention on April 26, 2019 is still a go and will be held at the Red Scorpion Resto Pub. This is the location of our old VFW Post “La Cantina”. The Cooties will set up the Social event at Footlights. We have the venue reserved from 0900 to 1200. Officer’s call will be at 0930 and the District 7 Convention will start at 1000. We will need post members to assist in setting up before the meeting @ 0830. Our post will offer coffee and donuts to attendees and breakfast will be available at our new post home, Philibel’s, two doors down in the same building complex. The Cootie Social will start at 1500 at Footlight. There will be a 50/50 drawing, possible auction, and cover charge.
• The following comrades were elected to be VFW Post 9892 Delegates at our District 7 Convention at Red Scorpion April 26, 2019 and Department of Pacific Areas Convention in Saipan June 9-13, 2019.
o Delegates: Bobby Reyes; Bud St Onge; Andrew Dzurissin; Tim Aukshun; Charles Spain; Rhett Webber; Allen Wilson; Donald Carr; Garrett Bridges.
o Alternates: Pete Brozowski; Frederick Russian; James Rodgers; John Mesaros; Art Gaspard; Michael Grider; Roger Limle; Sonny English; Paul Hogle.
• Comrade Spain was elected to be our post delegate at the VFW National Convention in July in Orlando, Florida.
• Nominations were open for each VFW Post 9892 elected position for term 2019-2020. Nominations were made for the following VFW Post 9892 elected positions and accepted:
o Commander: Bobby Reyes (accepted)
o Sr Vice Commander: Don Carr (accepted)
o Jr Vice Commander: Pete Brozowski (accepted)
o Quartermaster: Charles Spain (accepted)
o Trustee Three: Garrett Bridges (accepted)
o Chaplain: Jim Rodgers (accepted)
o Trustee one (John Mesaros) and Trustee two (Fred Russian) move up to these positions through the normal progressive process. No vote necessary.
The positions of Adjutant, Surgeon, Judge Advocate and Service Officer will be appointed, as well as others. Nominations and acceptance will be closed prior to the elections. Since all elected positions were being unopposed, a motion by Comrade Aukshun for the Post Adjutant to cast one unanimous vote for all unopposed nominees was made and seconded by Comrade St.Onge.
The following Comrades will be properly installed at our next scheduled meeting on May 14, 2019 at Philibel’s Resto:
o Commander: Bobby Reyes
o Senior Vice Commander: Donald Carr
o Junior Vice Commander: Pete Brozowski
o Quartermaster: Charles Spain
o Chaplain: James Rodgers
o Trustee Three: Garrett Bridges
If you are interested in an appointed position for the 2019 -2020 term, inform Commander Reyes prior to the May 14, 2019 meeting. A decision will be made at that time as to who the appointees are.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• A reminder: Since the Department of Pacific Convention will be held in June 9-13, our June General Membership Meeting has been moved to Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 0900, as some members will be attending the convention.
• Comrades, keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Special thanks go to Comrades Aukshun, Bridges, Mesaros, and CDR Reyes for representing the Post at the FRA 367 Chili Cook Off. Special acknowledgement to Head Chef, Comrade Carr for representing the post with his excellent Chili entry.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front. Commander Reyes will show you how to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly if you need assistance.
• The deadline to register for the registering for the DPA Convention is June 1, 2019. Those attending the DPA Convention in Saipan need to reserve their rooms on the DPA Website as the rooms are going for $100/night. If you order through the hotel or through an on-line hotel Website, such as Hotels or Agoda then you will pay $170/night. The hotel name is Fiesta Resort and Spa. The local post will provide transportation to Convention for attendees from the airport to the hotel. Airfare tickets are going fairly cheap at this time. Commander Reyes will take $25 or its peso equivalent for those members who wish to order a DPA shirt at the end of this meeting. All others can order on-line on the DPA Website.
• Commander Reyes said that we normally have a Memorial Day social event after we place our flags on the graves of fellow veterans at the cemeteries and asks members to come up with ideas for this event so that we can plan ahead. This year Memorial Day is Monday, May 27, 2019.
• Special Events this Month until the next meeting:
a. April 11: Bataan Annual Memorial @ Camp O’Donnell, Capas, Tarlac @ 0800.
b. April 20: VFW CinC B J Lawrence visits District 7 at Oasis Hotel, Angeles City.
c. April 26: District 7 Convention at Red Scorpion.
d. May is National Mental Health Awareness Month e. May 1: Loyalty Day
f. May 12: Mother’s Day
• General Order #3 was issued and distributed to the Department and District, reflecting a change of our post home to Philibel’s Resto Bar, Bauang.
50/50 DRAWING: Total 1600 pesos. The winner was Comrade Presto (P800 pesos). The Post will receive 800 pesos.
BUDDY POPPY: P460, which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1020 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 14 May 2019 @ 9:00 a.m. at Philibelle’s Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union.