MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 12 May 20
Due to the Enhanced Community Quarantine and travel restrictions throughout the island of Luzon, Republic of the Philippines this meeting was done using group video conferencing with the Zoom Application. Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Reyes.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Pete Brozowski – Present
Junior Vice Commander – Michael Grider– Absent
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Trustee One – Fred Russian – Excused
Trustee Two – John Mesaros – Absent
Trustee Three – Garrett Bridges -Present
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Pete Brozowski - Present
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun – Present
OOD – Garrett Bridges -- Present
There were 8 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Past Department Commander: Rhett Webber
o Present District 7 Commander: Bud St Onge
o Past District 7 Commander: Rhett Webber, Charles Spain
o Past Post Commanders: Rhett Webber, Roger Limle
o Junior Past Commander: Bud St Onge •
Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel: Rhett Webber
DRAPING/UNDRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: Thankfully, none
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: : The Minutes from the April 21, 2020 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Bridges, seconded by Commander Reyes. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by CDR Reyes. Motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report upon audit was made by Comrade Bridges and Seconded by Comrade Brozowski. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS:
Reyes made a motion to pay the Quartermaster’s and Assistant Quartermaster’s Bond Fee of $42 each or $84 total. Comrade Bridges seconded it.
Comrade Brozowski said that he paid the Post’s Webpage Subscription Fee of $35.00. He made a motion to reimburse him $35. Seconded by Commander Reyes. No discussion. Motion passed to reimburse Comrade Brozowski $35.00.
Post Adjutant/District 7 Commander St Onge remarked on Department correspondence stating that all officers will assume their positions for the upcoming term on June 13.
The National and Department Conventions have been cancelled.
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
James Kiper is convalescing at home.
Clint Sherbondy passed away in Arlee, Montana on December 10, 2019. No other information. We will honor him at our next post meeting where/when we can drape the charter in his memory.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• VAOPC is still closed while Manila is in lock down. Veterans can still order their medications on-line.
• Those who have appointments with the VAOPC that they could not make will have them rescheduled in May-June or whenever the quarantine restrictions are lifted.
• Some medications from Tricare will be slow to refill as those medications needed for COVID-19 patients will only be filled in 30 day increments to ensure that the medications are still available for the patients.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Report Attached. Corona Virus is of big concern for now. Ensure that everybody in your household takes the necessary precautions such as washing your hands frequently and avoiding touching your face and going places with large crowds of people. If you are ill, wear a mask. The virus is expanding so maintain vigilance.
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Nothing to report
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Report sent via email distribution
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports go to Junior Vice Commander Pete Brozowski. email@example.com.
• NATIONAL HOME: Report sent via email distribution
• POW/MIA: Report sent via email distribution
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Commander Reyes reports 100% + 1 in membership for the current term. Keep the press on membership! The DPA is still short 202 new members to sign up and we can help the DPA reach that goal. Membership Committee needs to meet to plan out the Membership Drive at CSI.
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
NOTE: For more information regarding the committee reports have been sent to members on the email distribution list.
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Commander Reyes seconded by Comrade Bridges, no discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by Comrade Reyes, in remembrance of our National Home.
Membership Drive Booth at CSI continues to be on hold.
Bacsil Ridge project on hold.
Post 9892 Birthday celebration still set for June 23. Since the DPA Convention is cancelled, Commander Reyes made a motion to reset the June post meeting on June 9, 2020 to coincide with post Officer Induction Ceremony for new officers and to celebrate the Post Birthday at Crown & Anchor Resto on June 9, 2020. If we are still in restrictions and/or Crown & Anchor are closed then we will do the Induction Ceremony in July.
Commander Reyes directs all outgoing officers to train their reliefs.
Commander Reyes made a motion to support the Resolution presented by VFW Post 2485 to request that DPA have parity with VFW National by having a seat in the VFW National Legislative Committee. Seconded by Brozowski. Minor discussion. Motion passed.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
We were asked to perform a funeral service at the gravesite of Stanley Krause but were unable to due to the ECQ. We said that we would do it once we were released from the ECQ and for the family to contact us.
Commanders and SVC’s will move into their positions with an election for JVCs. District 7 Convention will be held at 1000 on May 14, 2020 on Zoom. CDR Reyes remarks that all post members and delegates attend.
• Since we voted to continue our Post 9892 Chili Cook Off on the Saturday following Thanksgiving we may also be on the hook for hosting the VFW DPA District 7 Meeting in July. More word to follow.
• Comrades, Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
Events and dates until our next meeting:
o May 14: District 7 Convention at 1000 on Zoom.
o May 16: Armed Forces Day
o May 25: Memorial Day
50/50 DRAWING: None
BUDDY POPPY: None
Meeting closed at 0945 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 9 June 2020 @ 9:00 a.m. at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union, unless we are still in quarantine then we will be back on Zoom.