MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 10 Mar 20
Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
• Garrett Bridges – OOD Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0910 hours.
Opening prayers were given by appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Bridges.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Pete Edwards – Present
Junior Vice Commander – Michael Grider – Excused
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers -- Absent
Trustee One – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Two – John Mesaros – Excused
Trustee Three – Garrett Bridges -- Present
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Pete Brozowski - Present
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun – Present
OOD – Garrett Bridges -- Present
There were 12 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• DPA JVC: Kevin Mitchell
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Past Department Commander: Rhett Webber
o Present District 7 Commander: Bud St Onge
o Past District 7 Commander: Rhett Webber, Charles Spain
o Past Post Commanders: Rhett Webber, Roger Limle
o Junior Past Commander: Bud St Onge •
Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel: Rhett Webber
DRAPING/UNDRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: Thankfully, none
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: : The Minutes from the February 11, 2020 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Webber seconded by Comrade Bridges. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: : The Post’s financial status was read by QM Charles Spain. Motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report as audited was made by Comrade Spain and Seconded by Comrade Webber, No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: QM Spain stated that we are up to date with all budgeted items. And he paid the District 7 Head Tax.
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: • DPA Commander’s March Report
o Discussed the VFW Department of Pacific Convention. Do not make arrangements for flights and hotels yet as the DPA Convention venue is changing due to the present nCOVID-19 issues throughout the Pacific.
• National Resolution (300 Series) Submitted by VFW 2485 for District 7.
o Discussed the treatment of inequality with the Stateside Posts, Districts and Departments as against the DPA and its Districts and Posts. This will be discussed and voted on at our District Convention on April 17th.
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Kiper confined at home and is in good spirits. Post members visited him at his home that was built and modified by the VA.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Service Officer report was presented by Post Service Officer Rhett Webber. When visiting the outpatient clinic there will be a waiting line in the breezeway between the VAOPC Manila main Building and the Security where visitors will be checked for the Corona Virus. If you are ill and coming to the VAOPC make sure that you let them know ahead of time by calling them. You can use #MYVA on your Cellphone for a direct connection to the VAOPC Manila.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Report Attached. Corona Virus is of big concern for now. Ensure that everybody in your household takes the necessary precautions such as washing your hands frequently and avoiding touching your face and going places with large crowds of people. If you are ill, wear a mask. The virus is expanding so maintain vigilance.
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Nothing to report
CHAPLAIN: Prayers for our departed comrades.
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Report sent via email distribution
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports go to Junior Vice Commander Pete Brozowski. firstname.lastname@example.org.
• ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND: Commander Reyes reports that he may have found somebody eagerly willing to assume the position as Schools Support Coordinator. We also have not sponsored a student for a school scholarship/grant in a while and we should be looking into that.
• SEAM SQUIRREL: Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
• CHILI COOK-OFF: We need to start planning ahead for the next CCO. Suggestions are coming forward for the mascot as a Native-American Indian.
• NATIONAL HOME: Report sent via email distribution
• POW/MIA: Report sent via email distribution
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Commander Reyes reports 100% + 1 in membership for the current term. Keep the press on membership! The DPA is still short 202 new members to sign up and we can help the DPA reach that goal. Membership Committee needs to meet to plan out the Membership Drive at CSI.
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
NOTE: For more information regarding the committee reports have been sent to members on the email distribution list.
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Reyes seconded by Comrade Webber, some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by temporary appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Bridges, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on again. Comrade Bridges has come up with a design for the Membership booth backdrop which will cost about P3000. We will need additional monies for the tables and everything else, including the cost of space rental of P3000 for a 2SQM space. Commander Reyes, Comrades Bridges and Brozowski will have a meeting with the upstairs management of CSI. A motion was made to budget P10000 for this project by Commander Reyes, Seconded by Comrade Bridges. Discussion. Motion was passed.
• Comrade John Kelly asked about the feasibility of having a WWII monument set up on the beach in San Fabian. Trying to get somebody to contact the local government in San Fabian. A member brought up that Bacsil Ridge also needed some work and it looked like it didn’t need any help from us, although it could use renovation. We can use VFW National Grant money for this project if possible. Commander Reyes stated that we should not lose an opportunity to use VFW National Grant money to fund our projects to benefit our local area and for comrades to come up with ideas as the end of the current term is quickly coming up in June. Commander Reyes made the motion to scrap San Fabian and focus our attention to Bacsil Ridge and/or more local potential projects, seconded by Comrade Bridges, discussion. Motion approved. Comrades Aukshun, Bridges, Edwards and Commander Reyes will go up to check up on Bacsil Ridges and get an appointment with the Mayor of San Fernando to see if the VFW can get this renovation started with the permission of the city.
• The Col B J Smith VFW Post 9892 Post Birthday Party will be at our post home, Crown & Anchor, following our post meeting with the new officers having their first day in their respective seats. Motion was made to have to have the post birthday party at Crown and Anchor by Comrade Reyes, seconded by Comrade Bridges. Discussion. Motion Approved. More on this as the event gets closer.
• Commander Reyes gave his presentation of potential locations for the venue of the District 7 Convention on April 17, 2020. Commander Reyes made a motion to pursue a discussion with the Jorisan Resort, in Bauang, for the District 7 Meeting. Motion seconded by Comrade Brozowski. Discussion. Motion approved. Note: The outcome of the discussion with the resort will determine if the venue will be held there. If we cannot come to terms with them then we will pursue other options. Commander Reyes and Comrade Bridges will go to the resort after today’s meeting to discuss it with them. The final decision and arrangements will be sent out via E-mail and on our Facebook page. The Cooties would still have the social event at Footlights after the Convention.
• We opened our nominations for the following officer positions for the next VFW post 9892 term with elections scheduled at our next General Membership Meeting on April 14th. The following Nominations were made. Nominations are still open and will close prior to the Elections.
o Commander: Rhett Webber
o Senior Vice Commander: Andrew Dzurissin
o Junior Vice Commander: Pete Brozowski
o Quartermaster: Tim Aukshun
o Chaplain: James Rodgers
o Trustee Three: Garrett Bridges
• The District has proposed to reorganize the District Meetings schedule between the 4 posts on Luzon. The purpose of this is to hopefully schedule these meetings to coincide with fundraisers, to facilitate greater participation. It was decided that, although our post would agree to the rescheduling of the District meetings, we would not agree to changing the date of our Chili Cook Off. A motion was made by Comrade Reyes to keep our Chili Cook Off date as the Saturday following Thanksgiving and to move our sponsoring of the District 7 Meeting to July. Seconded by Comrade Spain. Discussion. Motion approved.
• Comrade Aukshun made pitch to assist Adelito A. Salvador to get his operation on his leg. Commander Reyes made a motion for the post to provide P5000 from the General Fund for Community Service and have post members donate individually, Seconded by Comrade QM Spain. Discussion. Motion was approved.
• Commander Reyes discussed that we had not sponsored a “needs-based” deserving student in quite a long time. He said that he has an applicant who wishes for the VFW Post 9892 to be a sponsor for a scholarship/stipend. Commander Reyes made a motion to support a “needs-based” student for scholarship and stipend as separate from our School donation Program for the upcoming semester year. Seconded by Comrade Bridges. Discussion. Motion approved. Commander Reyes appointed a School Scholarship Committee to review applicants and present their findings at the next meeting. Comrade Aukshun was appointed as the Committee chairman and the members consist of Comrades Bridges and Edwards.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Commander Reyes introduced one of our newest members Comrade George Boronot to his first VFW Post 9892 Meeting.
• Commander Reyes introduced Department of Pacific Areas Junior Vice Commander Kevin Mitchell who discussed about the awards programs to include top CSR Award due to the District Commander by April 24th and Outstanding Post nominations by May 15th to the DPA JVC. Other awards are also coming due quickly.
• Comrades, Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining; give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
• DPA convention in Bangkok, Thailand in June 13-17 is put on hold until further notice due to the effects of the COVD-19 virus spreading. There is a possibility that we may just have a DPA Convention via live streaming on video. Do not make any arrangements for the attending the convention in Thailand, to include airlines and hotel reservations.
• At our next post meeting of April 14th, we will elect our delegates for the DPA, and National Conventions. •
Events and dates until our next meeting:
o March 26, 2020: Talisay Landing. TBD
50/50 DRAWING: 50/50 DRAWING: Total 600 pesos. The winner was Comrade Aukshun. The Post will receive 600 pesos.
BUDDY POPPY: P540, which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1115 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 14 April 2020 @ 0900 at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union.