MONTHLY MINUTES FOR:11 January 2022
Due to the Enhanced Community Quarantine and travel restrictions throughout the Republic of the Philippines, this meeting was conducted using group video conferencing with the Zoom Application. The opening ceremony for a regular meeting was conducted in accordance with the Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; the meeting opened at 1106 hours by Commander Webber Opening prayers were given by Comrade Reyes.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
• Commander – Rhett Webber – Present
• Senior Vice Commander – Andrew Dzurissin– Present
• Junior Vice Commander – Edward “Pete” Brozowski– Present
• Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun- Present
• Chaplain - James Rodgers -Absent
• Trustee One – Garret Bridges - Excused
• Trustee Two – Fred Russian – Absent
• Trustee Three –Roscoe McGlynn – Absent
• Adjutant – Bud St.Onge - Present
• Judge Advocate – Bud St.Onge – Present
• Surgeon –Andrew Dzurissin—Present
• Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present • Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present
• Assistant Service Officer – Rhett Webber - Present
• Scholarship Committee Chairman—Tim Aukshun—Present
• Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber – Present
• National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
• Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
• Historian—Pete Brozowski—Present
• OOD— None
There were 8 members in attendance.
Commander Webber recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Current District 7 Commander and past Post Commander: Bobby Reyes
o Past All American District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Tim Aukshun
o Past District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Bud St Onge
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the 14 December 2021 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes, as distributed and posted, was made by Comrade Brozowski, seconded by Comrade St.Onge. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Aukshun. A motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report, as audited, was made by QM Aukshun, seconded by Comrade Brozowski. No discussion. Motion approved
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: We have received three documents from the VA regarding December and January updates as well as another document outlining changes to the services they provide. They are an attachement to the general distribution of the minutes.
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS: The following commrades are still covalescing at home: JD Keller, Larry Purdy, Kim Kiper, and Dave Ransom.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Medicare open enrollment for 2022 coverage starts on October 15, 2021, and continues through December 7 for those wishing to change their plan. For those who wish to reenroll or did not enroll in Medicare during their initial period, the open enrolment is January 1, 2022, to March 31, 2022. Learn how you can change your Medicare coverage outside of the fall open enrollment period. When is Medicare open enrollment? www.medicareresources.org
• ADSO/PSO Reyes provided training on “Veterans Pension” and presented a training film entitled “Enhanced Veterans Pension” by the US Department of Veterans Affairs and can be found on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_U_Ki-QwB0&t=320s • VAOPC Manila had commenced physical appointments for enrolled veterans, however new restrictions are now in place. Because this is constantly changing you will need to contact VAOPC Manila and find out what the latest information is. You may still request for a telephone physical. In most cases they will approve that but its on a case by case basis.
• Service Officer CSRs are very high assisting veterans and their families for our post since we have CDR Rhett Webber in Angeles City and PSO/ADSO Bobby Reyes doing claims assistance Philippine-wide utilizing remote means. There are now only two VA accredited VFW Veterans Service Officers in the Philippines VFW DPA DSO Chris Pearce and VFW Post 9892/VFW DPA ADSO Bobby Reyes.
• VAOPC has extended the reporting period from 30 days to 90 days to reply back with a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) due to the present Philippine mail situation.
• All veterans should have a "cookbook" with all of their pertinent documents that can be passed to their widow or whoever will make their final arrangements. All marriage certificates and divorce decrees should be part of this "cookbook". Veterans are also advised to update VA and DEERs files as soon as possible.
• Post Service Officer Report:
o Post Service Officer is working on five cases with three more backed up (awaiting more information).
o Post Service Officer attended the VA VSO meeting on Controlled drugs…VA will not issue controlled drugs on October 1, 2022. (see attachments).
o PSO encourages members to write their congressmen to have VA FMP hire more people to help expedite claims and to have FMP disburse reimbursements electronically.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
• COMMANDERS REPORT: Sent via email
• SURGEON: Sent via email
• JUDGE ADVOCATE: None
• CHAPLAIN: None • HISTORIAN: None
• SAFETY OFFICER: Sent via email
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All CSRs shall be inputted on the new VFW DPA page at www.vfwpacific.org
• BUDDY POPPY: None
• NATIONAL HOME: Sent via email
• POW/MIA: Sent via email
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: None
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: Sent via email
• SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: None
• SEAM SQUIRREL: PT-7 meeting to follow VFW meeting
• CHILI COOK OFF: Nonr
A motion was made by Comrade St.Onge to accept all committee reports, seconded by Comrade Brozowski, No discussion. Motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME:A prayer was said by Commander Webber, in remembrance of our National Home.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS: None
• Nominations for Post officers will open in February. If you are interested in a nomination or would like to nominate a comrade for the 2022 -2023 term send me or Commander Webber an email with the information. Or attend the February 8th meeting general membership meeting at 0900, via zoom.
• Comrade Brozowski is working on a Communty Service Project to install blinking warning lights on the highway to slow people down. Three people have been injured by cars traveling too fast.
• Typhoon victims in the Cebu area are still rebuilding from the devastation in December. If you are interested in making a donation, do it as an individual. Just be aware of scams to misdirect your donation to the wrong place.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Comrade Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front and to get involved in the VFW “running membership drive”.
• The new Department of Pacific Areas Webpage is www.vfwpacific.org Log in to Members Only to input CSR data using the member’s VFW membership number and your last name as the password. The post must report 110% from last year’s CSR reports to maintain eligibility for All-American.
• VA ID: If you or a dependent need to replace a VA ID card, inform the receptionist, when you arrive for a scheduled appointment at the clinic and they will direct you to the staff that can help you. You must have a clinic appointment in order to request this additional service. Make sure you have two photo IDs (Retirement ID/ card, US Passport, etc., to show at the check-in desk.
• See our VFW 9892 Website entitled, “VA Survivors Benefits”. Here veterans and survivors can find information on filing and be able to download forms. There are many links to documents on our Website. We have been receiving positive feedback on its content. Of interest is the link “Planning Your Legacy”. It is a rather large download as this is a book that will give guidance to the veteran and family. www.vfwpost9892.com We have a link to the page on our Facebook also.
• In order to qualify for All State the post needs a total of 13 new members. This will be a challenging undertaking and we need members to actively recruit those Veterans that are eligible for VFW membership that have not joined. Get the word out!
• CSR’s: We are falling behind in CSR entries, to date. Take credit for what you do and inform Comrade Brozowski.
• FPO dues: If you have an active FPO in San Fernando, La Union and you want to continue receiving mail there, the dues are 3,000 pesos for the year. The due date is March, 1, 2022. Contact Comrade Aukshun for payment. email@example.com
50/50 DRAWING: None
BUDDY POPPY: None
The meeting closed at 1148 hours in accordance with the VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be February 8, 2022 @ 0900, at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 Na tional Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union. However, if we are still in quarantine, we will have the meeting via Zoom.