MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 08 Sept. 20
Due to the Enhanced Community Quarantine and travel restrictions throughout the island of Luzon, Republic of the Philippines this meeting was done using group video conferencing with the Zoom Application. Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by Commander Webber.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Rhett Webber – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Andrew Dzurissin– Present
Junior Vice Commander – Edward “Pete” Brozowski– Present
Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun- Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers- Present
Trustee One – John Mesaros - Excused
Trustee Two – Garret Bridges – Present
Trustee Three – Fred Russian -Excused
Adjutant – Bud St.Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Bud St.Onge – Present
Surgeon – Andrew Dzurissin—Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present
Scholarship Committee Chairman—Tim Aukshun—Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber – Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Excused
OOD—Garrett Bridges - Present
There were 10 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
Commander Webber recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Current District 7 (acting) Commander and past Post Commander: Bobby Reyes
o Past All American District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Tim Aukshun
o Past District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Bud St Onge
DRAPING/UNDRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: At our next physical General Membership Meeting at Crown & Anchor Resto; we will drape the charter for Comrades Clint Sherbondy and Cecil McMillian Jr .
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: Comrade Richard Donald Wilkes application has been reviewed and accepted by the membership committee. Comrade Aukshun made a motion to accept Comrade Wilkes as a new member of Post 9892, motion seconded by Comrade Brozowski, no discussion, motion approved.
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the August 11, 2020 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Reyes, seconded by Comrade Weber. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Aukshun. Motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report upon audit was made by QM Aukshun, seconded by Comrade Bridges. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently in ICU at TMCC Clark Medical Center.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Kiper is convalescing at home.
• Roger Limle is presently at Lorma hospital with Pneumonia.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
VFW DPA Policy on assisting with claims. We assist people with filling out their paperwork, but not to make any promises. The Post Service Officer can provide paperwork. The post Service Officer will forward the paperwork through the District 7 Service Officer and Assistant Department Service Officer. Claimants can set up a Zoom or telephone appointment with the Post Service Officer using the Email SO9892@vfwpacific.org. VA Form 21-22 must be filled out giving the VFW Power of Attorney to assist with the claim.
See our new link in our VFW 9892 Website entitled, “VA Survivors Benefits”. Here veterans and survivors can find information on filing and be able to download forms. Of interest is the link “Planning Your Legacy”. It is a rather large download as t is a book that will give guidance to the veteran and family. www.vfwpost9892.com. We will have a link to the page on our Facebook also.
VAOPC is still providing “specialty care”. Contact them to make appointments. All others can have their annual/semi-annual via phone call.
Tricare Select Overseas open season starts from November 9 to December 14. If you are enrolled in Tricare For Life and enrolled in Medicare Part A and B this does not apply to you. You can do it online using DFAS or set up with Tricare Overseas Select. If you miss the deadline you will not be covered under Tricare on January 1, 2021.
Comrade Reyes is the Assistant Department Service Officer (ADSO) for the Philippines, and is working on obtaining accessibility to Vetraspec. Service Officers shall submit requests for assistance to ADSO Reyes or DSO John Dibble. VAOPC Manila VA appointments can be done via the telephone.
Some specialty appointments are being done at the clinic. Evaluate your ability to travel freely from your home to the clinic. Presently it is too difficult to travel from outside of Metro Manila and this may continue for an extended period of time. We advise you not to accept a face to face appointment unless you are confident that you will be able to travel there
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Emailed to distribution
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Nothing to report
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: None
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• BUDDY POPPY: None
• NATIONAL HOME: None
• POW/MIA: None
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: See report on membership applications.
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
• SCHOOLS: Still need a School Committee Chairman
• SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: None
• SEAM SQUIRREL: None
• CHILI COOK OFF: This year’s event is cancelled due to travel restrictions. We will replace it with a 50/50 raffle draw as our fundraiser. Drawing will be held at our Post meeting on December 8, 2020.
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports will be inputted on the new VFW DPA page of www.vfwpacific.org.
• BUDDY POPPY: None •
NATIONAL HOME: Attached •
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: None
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
• SCHOOLS: Still need a School Committee Chairman .
SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: Comrade Aukshun reports that he is still waiting for requested information from our candidate.
• SEAM SQUIRREL: There will be a short Scratch immediately after this meeting.
• CHILI COOK OFF: This years event is cancelled due to travel restrictions. We will replace it with a 50/50 raffle draw as our fundraiser.
A motion was made by Comrade St. Onge to accept all committee reports, seconded by Comrade Reyes, no discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME:A prayer was said by Commander Webber, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI continues to be on hold.
• Bacsil Ridge project is on hold.
• Post 9892 Birthday celebration still reset for at a later date once we have our first physical GMM at Crown & Anchor.
• Our annual raffle that normally would be held at the Chili Cook Off will now be held at our Post meeting, December 8, 2020. Comrade Aukshun made a motion for this new date for the raffle and to have Comrade Brozowski print up the tickets, motion seconded by Comrade Reyes, some discussion, motion approved.
• Post 9892 annual inspection will be conducted after our October 13, 2020 meeting via Zoom.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• VFW Projects and grants requiring National funding: The following is a policy change: The VFW Foundation is shifting its grant focus for the 2021 fiscal year to provide urgently needed financial relief to VFW Posts affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Many VFW Posts are unable to utilize traditional fundraising methods and are in dire need of aid. To better assists our Posts, the VFW Foundation is introducing the VFW Post Pandemic Relief Grant (PPRG). This is an opportunity for VFW Posts that own or lease their buildings to receive up to $2,500 in support toward costs such as Mortgage/rent, utility bills and property taxes. Posts will need to meet certain requirements to be eligible to receive funding from this program. These criteria can be found on page one of the application, which you can download here. Applications for the VFW Foundation Post Pandemic Relief Grant will be accepted starting Oct. 1. Unfortunately, this shift in focus means we have had to temporarily suspend both the VFW Foundation Community Support Grant and VFW Foundation Grant until next year. As a replacement community service project it was voted that the post would donate P20,000 for financial assistance (Fishpond feed) for the Barangay Baroro, Bacnotan Sustainable Livelihood Project. Or similar. A motion to contribute 20,000 pesos to this project was made by Comrade Brozowski and seconded by Comrade Reyes, some discussion, motion approved.
• A copy of our original Post incorporation has been provided to an attorney. He will check to see if we are in compliance with the Philippine Security Exchange Commission requirements. Once documents are finalized, Comrade Brozowski will be the responsible for maintaining them in a safe place. A motion to support this plan was made by Comrade Brozowski, seconded by Comrade Reyes, some discussion, motion approved.
• A copy of Post 9892 by laws has been distributed for review. Upon review and acceptance, it will be distributed to the membership as an attachment to the minutes. • Commander Webber encourages any Veteran scheduled for a Manila VA appointment to request a telecom with their primary doctor, to avoid having their medications cut off.
• Comrades, Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Comrade Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
• The new Department of Pacific Areas Webpage is www.vfwpacific.org . Log in to Members Only to input CSR data using the member’s VFW membership number and your last name as the password.
Events and dates until our next meeting: None
50/50 DRAWING: None
BUDDY POPPY: None
Meeting closed at 1000 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 13 October 2020 @ 9:00 a.m. at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union, unless we are still in quarantine then we will be back on Zoom.