MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 09 Mar. 21
Due to the Enhanced Community Quarantine and travel restrictions throughout the island of Luzon, Republic of the Philippines this meeting was done using group video conferencing with the Zoom Application. Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by Commander Webber.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
• Commander – Rhett Webber – Present
• Senior Vice Commander – Andrew Dzurissin– Present
• Junior Vice Commander – Edward “Pete” Brozowski– Present
• Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun- Present
• Chaplain - James Rodgers-Present
• Trustee One – John Mesaros - Absent
• Trustee Two – Garret Bridges – Present
• Trustee Three – Fred Russian–Excused
• Adjutant – Bud St.Onge - Present
• Judge Advocate – Bud St.Onge – Present
• Surgeon –Andrew Dzurissin—Present
• Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
• Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present • Scholarship Committee Chairman—Tim Aukshun—Present
• Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber – Present
• National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
• Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
• Assistant Quartermaster – Charlie Spain –Present
• Historian—Pete Brozowski—Present
• OOD—Garrett Bridges - Present
There were 9 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
Commander Webber recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Current District 7 Commander and past Post Commander: Bobby Reyes
o Past All American District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Tim Aukshun
o Past District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Bud St Onge
DRAPING/UNDRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: No Action
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: Louis Chetaud’s application for membership was approved. Comrade Reyes made a motion to accept Comrade Chetaud as a new member of Post 9892, seconded by Comrade McGlynn. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the February 9, 2021 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes, as distributed and posted, was made by Comrade St.Onge, seconded by Comrade Brozowski. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Aukshun. A motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report, upon audit, was made by QM Aukshun, seconded by Comrade Reyes. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Dave Ransom is convalescing at home.
• James Kiper is convalescing at home.
• JD Keller, is convalescing at home.
• Joe Dager is currently awaiting surgery
• Larry Purdy recovering at home
• Daniel L. Cimo passed away 28 Feb 21 and was interred at the Clark Field ABMC Clark Veterans Cemetery 04 Mar 21.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Presently working with clients.
• Service-Connected Veterans enrolled with VAOPC Manila will be offered the COVID-19 Vaccine when available.
• CLAIMS: A reminder to look at our post Webpage and you will find the documents that most people would use to file a claim. Your post service officer and District Service Officer can assist you. The post Service Officer will forward the paperwork through the District 7 Service Officer and Assistant Department Service Officer. Claimants can set up a Zoom or telephone appointment with the Post Service Officer using the Email
• SO9892@vfwpacific.org VA Form 21-22 must be filled out giving the VFW Power of Attorney to assist with the claim.
• VAOPC Manila will continue to have telephone appointments until further notice, although they do have limited face to face appointments. We advise that you check with them prior to your appointment, to confirm it. Ensure that they have your current phone number on file, as they will be contacting you by phone or by secure messaging in My Healthy Vet. There are strict guidelines that must be followed for clinic visits. Some specialty doctors are no longer available at the clinic. Check with the clinic to confirm your options for receiving specialty care. In most cases you will have to be treated by a private doctor and seek reimbursement from FMP (Foreign Medical Plan).The VA can also provide you a VES exam with a local doctor at no cost to the Veteran.
• See our new link in our VFW 9892 Website entitled, “VA Survivors Benefits”. Here veterans and survivors can find information on filing and be able to download forms. There are many links to documents on our Website. We have been receiving positive feedback on its content. Of interest is the link “Planning Your Legacy”. It is a rather large download as this is a book that will give guidance to the veteran and family. www.vfwpost9892.com We have a link to the page on our Facebook also.
Addional information emailed to membership
o Minutes from the February 4, 2021 VA Advisory Board meeting
o Burial Requirements at Clark Cemetery
o Committee Reports o Commanders Report
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All CSRs shall be inputted on the new VFW DPA page at www.vfwpacific.org
• BUDDY POPPY: None
• NATIONAL HOME:Sent via email
• POW/MIA: Sent via email
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: None
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
• SCHOOLS: Still need a School Committee Chairman
• SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: None
• SEAM SQUIRREL: No report
• CHILI COOK OFF: We are working on the feasibility of having a CCO later this year, more information will be provided in the upcoming months.
A motion was made by Comrade Rodgers to accept all committee reports, seconded by Comrade Reyes. Some discussion. Motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME:A prayer was said by Chaplain Rogers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• The Bacsil Ridge project is no longer on our to do list. The gravesites have been cleaned/restored by unknown resources and are no longer in need for repairs and cleaning.
• Post 9892 Birthday celebration is on hold and will be scheduled once we have our first physical GMM at Crown & Anchor.
• Post 9892 bank account: We are working with the bank (Bank of the Philippine Islands) to provide them with the necessary documents to allow access to our funds. This account has been locked for some time now due to additional documents required by the bank. A motion was made by Comrade Reyes to close the BPI account as soon as the bank provides us access, withdraw our money and deposit this money into our safe until we establish ourselves at another bank. Motion seconded by Comrade Bridges, some discussion, motion approved.
• We will explore the prospects of providing video conferencing for future meetings, after the quarantine restrictions are lifted. This will allow members to participate even if they cannot attend the meeting in person. We will keep you updated on this.
• We are planning on having a 4th of July BBQ at Crown and Anchor, to celebrate this important holiday. The fireworks display will be held at Sunset View Resort (formally JD’s) on July 3rd. More information will be provided in the next couple of months.
• Elections: We opened our nominations for the following officer positions for the next VFW Post 9892 term. Elections will be held at our next General Membership Meeting on April 13th. The following Nominations were made and accepted. Nominations are still open and will close prior to the elections on April 13th.
o Commander: Rhett Webber
o SVC: Andrew Dzurissin
o JVC: Pete Brozowski
o Chaplin: Jim Rodgers
o Quartermaster: Tim Aukshun
o Trustee #1: Garrett Bridges
o Trustee #2: Fred Russian
o Trustee #3: Roscoe McGlynn
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• We have been advised by our National organization that they are experiencing delays in the production of Buddy Poppies. Please continue to submit your orders while they actively work toward fulfilling your requests. All orders will be processed in the order in which they are received, but fulfillment may be significantly delayed. Feel free to send inquiries to the National Buddy Poppy program administrators at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Commander Webber encourages any Veteran scheduled for a Manila VA appointment to request a telecom with their primary doctor, to avoid having their medications cut off. This guidance shall remain in place until quarantine restrictions are lifted.
• Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Comrade Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front and to get involved in the VFW “running membership drive”.
• The new Department of Pacific Areas Webpage is www.vfwpacific.org Log in to Members Only to input CSR data using the member’s VFW membership number and your last name as the password.
• Blue Water Navy Veterans are now approved for Agent Orange disabilities claims, subject to verification and approval by the VA.
• Three new Agent Orange presumptive’s, bladder cancer, hypothyroidism and parkinsonism have been added to the existing presumptive’s.
• The VFW National Convention is scheduled to be held in Baltimore Maryland this year. The dates have not been set but this event typically is in the July – August time frame. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
• The Department of Pacific Areas Convention is scheduled to be held at Pattaya Beach, Thailand June 27 – 30. However, this depends on people’s ability to travel in and out of their respective country. We will provide updates on this in the coming months. It is advised that you should not make any hotel reservations at this time.
• There has been a letter circulating throughout the Veterans community labeled the Veterans Alliance Petition, seeking support for vaccines being made available to U.S. Citizens residing in the Philippines. If you support this initiative, you may sign it as an individual. Do not make any reference of being a member of the VFW. The VFW organization has not taken a position on this as of this date and until further guidance is provided by our National Office, it will remain neutral.
• National Vietnam Veterans Day 2021. On line celebration scheduled for March 29th. If your name was submitted, plan on attending via zoom. You will be contacted prior to the meeting, if your name was submitted.
• Nominations are open for District VII positions. If you are interested, contact District VII Commander Reyes or attend the District Convention on April 19th,.
Events and dates until our next meeting: None
50/50 DRAWING: None
BUDDY POPPY: None
Meeting closed at 1040 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be April 13, 2021 @ 0900, at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union. However, if we are still in quarantine, we will have the meeting via Zoom.