Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
Garrett Bridges – OOD
Don Carr – Chaplain
Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 1000 hours.
Opening prayers were given by temporarily appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Don Carr.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander - Andrew Dzurissin – Absent
Junior Vice Commander – Tim Aukshun – Present
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers – Absent
Trustee One – Garrett Bridges - Present
Trustee Two – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Three – John Mesaros – Present
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Don Carr - Present
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
There were 17 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees: All current and past Seam Squirrels, Post Commanders, District Officers and Department Officers.
Undraping of the Charter Ceremony: The Post Charter was undraped in memory of Past District 7 Commander, Past Post 9892 Commander Thomas Lee Darkus, DTCS, US Navy (Retired). Who passed away on February 3, 2019.
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the February 12, 2019 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Brozowski, seconded by Comrade Aukshun. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Posts financial status was read by Comrade Spain. All programs are adequately funded indicating that our financial status is good. Income and projected expenses were also discussed with no immediate concerns. Comrade Spain made a motion to accept the quartermaster’s report, subject to audit. Motion was seconded by Comrade Webber, No discussion, motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS: • Daniel Cimo is currently in the US having medical tests done. • Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Lorma Hospital still does not bill FMP directly due to slow payments by FMP. VAOPC Manila is still aware of this issue and will be brought up again at the next Teleconference.
• If you need assistance filing documents, see Rhett Webber at the DAV office (Daniela’s next door to VFW Post 2485).
• Military ID cards are now being done at VAOPC Manila, make your appointment on line.
• Thank you to Comrades Aukshun, Garrett, and Reyes for visiting the family, presentation of a US Flag Burial Ceremony, and providing initial VA family assistance. Also thank you to Comrade Webber for talking to the family at length, while assisting the family file the necessary paperwork for death of a US citizen VA/SSA documents.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON – Sent to distribution via email
JUDGE ADVOCATE – Position vacant due to death of Tom Darkus
HISTORIAN –Records are being validated and updated.
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
COMMUNITY SERVICE: Continue performing community service and document your monthly participation by submitting to Junior Vice Commander Aukshun. Be sure to provide the number of volunteers, number of hours worked, number of miles traveled and the total amount spent. Send to Twaukshun@yahoo.com Keep up the good work.
SAFETY REPORT - Sent to distribution via email
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND: •Comrade Roger Limle read his School Report to the members.
SEAM SQUIRREL: • Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
NATIONAL HOME – Sent to distribution via email
POW/MIA – Sent to distribution via email
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Our Membership is presently at 103.43%. This puts us at #90 in Division 4 Nationally. We need to be in the top 50 to gain All-American honors which sets the bar at 105.23%. We need five more members to fall into the top 50 window and three more Life Memberships to get the DPA Membership stipend.
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Webber, seconded by Comrade Bridges, some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by temporarily appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Carr in remembrance of our National Home.
• Update on the Baroro/McPherson Project Action: We have received the check from VFW National for the project and Comrade Spain is ready to provide a check for the required amount to Barangay Baroro. Comrade Brozowski will manage the project and work with Baroro.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on hold. CSI is presently going through remodeling and the area that would have been assigned to us will be part of that remodeling. They estimate a completion date of June or July, but they did say that they might be able to get us a spot in May; they will contact us. In the meantime, we need to make a backboard advertisement and get what we need to do a respectable Membership Drive table. We will be given a 2 S.M. space near the optical shop and Alhambra tasting booth. The cost for the booth space rental is P3,210/day.
• The venue for our next D7 Convention on April 26, 2019 has been changed and will be held at the Red Scorpion Resto Pub. This is the location of our old VFW Post “La Cantina”. The Cooties will set up the Social event at Footlights. We have the venue reserved from 0900 to 1200. Officer’s call will be at 0930 and the District 7 Convention will start at 1000. The Cootie Social will start at 1500 at Footlight.
• Our VFW Post and Cooties need to get their Department of the Pacific “Color, camera ready” ½ page advertisements to DPA QM Pete Callaghan no later than May 1, 2019. Comrade Webber is working on the advertisement and will get pictures from our Col B J Smith VFW Post 9892 Facebook page.
• Comrade Adjutant (D7 SVC) St Onge said that there are openings for nominations for D7 Adjutant and D7 Judge Advocate. Please see him if anybody is interested in these appointed positions.
• Deadline for DPA Outstanding Awards are March 15 and for National Community Service Awards March 25 to District 7. Post members wishing to make nominations for these awards should submit them to Commander Reyes or Post Adjutant St Onge. NEW BUSINESS:
• Post Commander Reyes made the following appointments to fill Comrade Darkus’ positions are as follows: Judge Advocate: Donald Carr until the new officers officially assume positions in June 2019. Webmaster: Pete Brozowski
• Post Commander Reyes nominated Comrade Bridges as Trustee One until the new officers officially assume their new positions in June 2019. With no other nominations a vote was taken and was elected into that position until end of this term.
• Nominations are now open for VFW Post 9892 term 2019-2020. Nominations were made for the following VFW Post 9892 elected positions and accepted: o Commander: Bobby Reyes (accepted); Sr Vice Commander: Don Carr (accepted); Jr Vice Commander: Pete Brozowski (accepted); Quartermaster: Charles Spain (accepted); Trustee Three: Garrett Bridges (accepted); Chaplain: Jim Rodgers (accepted) The positions of Adjutant, Surgeon, Judge Advocate and Service Officer will be appointed, as well as others. Submit all written nominations and acceptance’ to Post Adjutant Bud St Onge at firstname.lastname@example.org, or attend the next post meeting. Nominations will remain open until elections at our April 9, 2019 post meeting. Nominations and acceptance will be closed prior to the elections.
• Our current Post home, Paradise Inn Beach Resort, is changing ownership and will require us to move all of our gear out before April 1st. Tents, Bingo Machine, flags, boxes …gone! Philibel’s Resto in Bauang (in the same building complex as our old VFW “La Cantina” will become our new Post home. Comrade Aukshun volunteered to remove the tents; Comrade Brozowski volunteered to bring the Bingo Machine to Barangay Baroro, Bacnotan’s elementary school, Commander Reyes and Seam Squirrel Weber will remove flags and plaques.
• Commander Reyes made a motion to move our post home meetings to Philibel’s Resto, in Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union, Philippines effective at our next meeting of April 9, 2019 at 0900, Seconded by Comrade Webber; after a short discussion on starting our post meeting earlier to allow Philibel’s Resto an opportunity to set up for their lunch customers, motion was passed unanimously by all 17 members present. We would like to thank Comrade Dzurissen and his wife Emma for allowing us to have our meetings and post functions at Paradise Inn Beach Resort since December 2015.
• Since the Department of Pacific Convention will be held in June 9-13, Comrade St Onge made a motion to move our June General Membership Meeting to Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 0900, as some members will be attending the convention. Seconded by Commander Reyes, a short discussion; motion was passed unanimously by all members present.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Comrade Gaspard informed all members present that VA Form 534EZ “Application for DIC, Death Pension, and/or Accrued Benefits (Fillable)” can assist you in collecting the documents necessary for your surviving spouse to use upon your death. All post comrades should prepare a binder with pertinent information and documents to include insurance, DD-214. Marriage certificates, etc. in the event of our untimely demise.
• Comrades, keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• FRA 367 gave us 25 tickets at P500 each for a jackpot of P100,000 for their Chili Cook Off in April. If any member is interested in purchasing one or more of these raffle tickets, contact Commander Reyes. - Comrade Carr has volunteered to represent the post at the FRA 367 Chili Cook-Off in San Antonio, Zambales on April 6, 2019.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front. Commander Reyes will show you how to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly if you need assistance.
• Those attending the DPA Convention in Saipan need to reserve their rooms on the DPA Website as the rooms are going for $100/night. If you order through the hotel or through an on-line hotel Website, such as Hotels or Agoda then you will pay $170/night. The hotel name is Fiesta Resort and Spa. The local post will provide transportation to Convention for attendees from the airport to the hotel. Airfare tickets are going fairly cheap at this time.
• Reminder that the venue for our next D7 Convention on Friday, April 26, 2019 has been changed to take place at Red Scorpion Resto Pub. This is the location of our old VFW Post “La Cantina”. The Cooties will set up the Social event at Footlight. We have the venue reserved from 0900 to 1200. Officer’s call will be at 0930 and the District 7 Convention will start at 1000. The Cootie Social will start at 1500 at Footlight.
• Commander Reyes said that we normally have a Memorial Day social event after we put our flags on the graves of fellow veterans at the cemeteries and asks members to come up with ideas for this event so that we can plan ahead. This year Memorial Day is Monday, May 27, 2019.
50/50 DRAWING: Total 1800 pesos. The winner was Comrade Bridges (P900 pesos). The Post will receive 900 pesos.
BUDDY POPPY: P610, which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1130 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 9 Apr 19 @ 9:00 a.m. at Philibel’s Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union.