MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 09 JUL 19
Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
Fred Russian – OOD
Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours.
Opening prayers were given by Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Donald Carr – Excused
Junior Vice Commander – Pete Brozowski – Present
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Excused
Chaplain - James Rodgers – Present
Trustee One – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Two – John Mesaros – Present
Trustee Three – Garrett Bridges -Excused
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Don Carr - Excused
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Don Carr – Excused
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun – Absent
Historian – Pete Brozowski - Present
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel Rhett Webber
• All past Seam Squirrels, Post Commanders, District Officers and Department Officers.
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS:
• Christopher Turgeon, USAF/USA. Korea. A motion to accept his membership to VFW Post 9892 as a Life member was made by CDR Reyes; seconded by XXXXX. Discussion. Motion passed. Welcome to Col B J Smith VFW Post 9892 Comrade Turgeon.
• SVC Carr had previously stated that said that his father is interested in joining our VFW Post and that he would get the application from him; still waiting on word.
READING OF MINUTES:The Minutes from the June 18, 2019 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Brozowski, seconded by Comrade Webber. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was not read as the QM is in the USA and the Assistant QM was absent.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: 2019 – 2020 membership criteria from VFW National Commander in Chief.
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Mann is presently at the Bridges of Hope in Angeles City recovering.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Lorma Hospital still does not bill FMP directly due to slow payments by FMP. VAOPC Manila is still aware of this issue and will be brought up again at the next Teleconference.
• The President signed the Blue Water Navy Act, but its implementation is delayed until January 2020. Veterans should still file their Blue Water Navy Claims so that they will be ready when the VA commences implementation of the Blue Water Navy Act.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Report sent via email distribution
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Excused - no report
CHAPLAIN: Prayers for our departed comrade, Tom Darkus and family.
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Report sent via email distribution
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports go to Junior Vice Commander Pete Brozowski. firstname.lastname@example.org.
• ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND: Comrade Roger Limle read his School Report to the members.
• SEAM SQUIRREL: Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
• CHILI COOK-OFF: Members should continue to sell their issued Chili Cook-Off raffle Tickets. We are still locked in to using BLU Water Beach Resort and Parks in Brgy Pugo, Bauang, La Union on November 30, 2019. Our Miss Chili Pepper has been changed to Miss Ali Gator. If you have things that can be auctioned please contact the Cooties as they will be auctioning items off like last year.
• NATIONAL HOME: Report sent via email distribution
• POW/MIA: Report sent via email distribution
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Our Membership numbers will start all over again. We will get our numbers from the department in a month or so. District will reduce the stipend to $250 due to a limited budget. We will know for sure once the District 7 QM Audit is completed.
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: No action necessary at this time. The 2019 – 2020 budget has been approved.
NOTE: For more information regarding the committee reports have been sent to members on the email distribution list.
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Rodgers, seconded by Comrade Russian, some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on hold. CSI is presently going through remodeling and the area that would have been assigned to us will be part of that remodeling. They will contact us. In the meantime we need to make a backboard advertisement and get what we need to do a respectable Membership Drive table. We will be given a 2 S.M. space near the optical shop and Alhambra tasting booth. The cost for the booth space rental is P3,210/day.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Four post members attended the July 5th District 7 Meeting at post 11447, in Olongapo.
• Comrades, Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
• DPA CofA will be held in Phnom Peng Cambodia on December 6-8.
• DPA convention is in Bangkok, Thailand in June. • Special Events this Month until the next meeting: VFW National Convention in Orlando Florida.
• The US Embassy will hold an Outreach in Baguio City on July 19, 2019. 0730 to 1030 at the CAP Convention Center, Camp John Hay, Loakan Road, Baguio City. American Citizens Services (ACS) for passports, Veterans Administration-Filing Benefits and Claims (VA) and Veterans Administration-Outpatient Clinic (VA-OPC) Appointments, shots, etc.
• Post 11447 held their annual Fil-Am Day in Subic and it was well attended. Many veterans attended with the local populations, including VFW Post 9892 members. • Those with AFN Decoder boxes must register with DEERs or they will be kicked out of the AFN Subscription.
• Vietnam Veterans and American Legion 123 had a 4th of July event that was also well attended.
• Daniela Hotel (next to VFW Post 2485) has been sold and the new name is Supermanogs, owned by an American. They are doing some much needed improvements and the price for staying there will remain the same. The DAV office on the 1st floor will not be affected and will be open daily
Special Events this Month until the next meeting: None
50/50 DRAWING:Total 1100 pesos. The winner was Comrade St Onge (P550). The Post will receive 550 pesos.
BUDDY POPPY: P270, which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1035 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 13 AUGUST 2019 @ 9:00 a.m. at Philibel’s Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union.