MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 12 Nov 19
Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
Garrett Bridges – OOD
Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours.
Opening prayers were given by Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Donald Carr – Absent
Junior Vice Commander – Pete Brozowski – Present
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers--Present
Trustee One – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Two – John Mesaros – Present
Trustee Three – Garrett Bridges -Present
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Don Carr - Absent
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Don Carr – Present
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun – Present
Historian - Pete Brozowski - Present
There were 13 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Past Department Commander: Rhett Webber
o Present District 7 Commander: Bud St Onge
o Past District 7 Commander: Rhett Webber, Tim Aukshun, Charles Spain
o Past Post Commanders: Rhett Webber, Tim Aukshun, Roger Limle
o Junior Past Commander Bud St Onge
• Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel Rhett Webber
Undraping of the Charter Ceremony:
The Post Charter was un-Draped in memory of VFW Post 9892 Life Members, whom we were notified by VFW National had passed away:
• Ramon B Bueno
• Loren L Crain
• Paul J Nelson
• Niel J Nielson.
DRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY:
The Post Charter was Draped in memory of VFW Post 9892 Life Member Roger B Forseth who recently passed away and funeral services were held at Clark Veterans Cemetery.
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: : The Minutes from the Oct. 10, 2019 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Rodgers, seconded by Comrade Bridges. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Charles Spain. Motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report as audited was made by Comrade Spain and Seconded by Comrade Aukshun. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: A reminder that we have to still pay $50 to National for the increase in VMS donations which went to $100. $50 was already paid.
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• Inquiry on the health status of Comrade George Bowling…more to follow-up.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Lorma Hospital still does not bill FMP directly due to slow payments by FMP. VAOPC Manila is still aware of this issue and will be brought up again at the next Teleconference. Nearest places for utilization of FMP are:
o Divine Grace Medical Center Cavite, Philippines
o Manila Doctors Hospital Manila, Philippines
o Unihealth Baypointe Hospital Olongapo, Philippines
o Sacred Heart Medical Center Angeles City, Philippines
o The Medical City Clark Angeles City, Philippines
o Avitus Kidney Care and Dialysis Center Olongapo, Philippines
o The Medical City, Iloilo Iloilo, Philippines
o SUSPENDED: The Medical City Ortigas, Pasig City Metro Manila
• There is an increase of Polio in the Philippines (Epidemic?) and the VA is being asked if we need a Polio Booster. Comrade Bridges reports that the Rotary Club is giving free Oral Polio Vaccines for children Fiver years old and below.
• If any member knows of somebody who has a cleft lip please see VFW Post 2485 as they provide the necessary contacts to have this corrective surgery for free.
• Contact Tricare Nurses at Lorma Medical Center for questions or concerns on Tricare Overseas Select.
• Fastest way to communicate with Foreign Medical Program (FMP) is via E-mail. Submit your claims and requests for registration via E-mail. Sending it by regular mail can delay a reply back an additional two weeks.
• Bluewater Navy review starts on January 1, so get you claims in before that time to be seen when they start otherwise with the amount of claims expected to be seen newer claims presented under “Bluewater Navy” may be pushed back.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Report sent via email distribution
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Absent
CHAPLAIN: Prayers for our departed comrades.
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Report sent via email distribution
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports go to Junior Vice Commander Pete Brozowski. email@example.com.
• ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND: Comrade Roger Limle read his School Report to the members.
• SEAM SQUIRREL: Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
• CHILI COOK-OFF:
Members should continue to sell their issued Chili Cook-Off raffle Tickets or return them to our CCO staff next meeting. We are still locked in to using BLU Water Beach Resort and Parks in Brgy Pugo, Bauang, La Union on November 30, 2019. If you have any available raffle tickets please return them to QM Spain. We are on-track for our 28th Annual Chili Cook Off at BluWater Beach Resorts and Parks in Barangay Pugo, Bauang, la Union.
• NATIONAL HOME: Report sent via email distribution
• POW/MIA: Report sent via email distribution
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Commander Reyes reports that with the addition of our newest Life Member we reached 100% in membership. Keep the press on membership! We will try to have our Membership Drive in the first week in January. We need to get our backboard design done.
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
NOTE: For more information regarding the committee reports have been sent to members on the email distribution list.
Motion to accept all committee reports approved without discussion
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on hold. See Membership Committee notes. • Commander Reyes reminded everybody about the change the December Post meeting to December 17@ 0900 because senior post members will be returning from Cambodia later in the week and not in time for the regularly scheduled meeting.
• The Post Membership Appreciation/Christmas Luncheon will be held at 1 PM, at Final Option Restaurant after the December 17 Post Meeting and has been approved by Final Option Management. Same policy as last year where the post will cover the first P500 of the “member in good standing’s” bill. Members need to notify Commander Reyes if they intend to attend and how guests they will bring. CDR Reyes needs the numbers to reserve the seats and QM Spain needs the numbers of members attending to ensure that he has the correct amount of money.
• We will host our Children’s Christmas Party, neighborhood school in Barangay Dili, Bauang on December 18.
• Comrade John Kelly asked about the feasibility of having a WWII monument set up on the beach in San Fabian. Trying to get somebody to contact the local government in San Fabian. A member brought up that Bacsil Ridge also needed some work and we will Look at that also. We can use VFW National Grant money for this project if possible.
• Post Inspection. It was decided by the District Inspector in Committee with Post Commanders and District Deputy inspectors that all inspections will be performed during a post meeting and will be completed by March 15 to allow for discrepancies to be completed prior to District 7 Commander submitting that all posts having successfully completed their annual inspection on or before April 15. Past District 7 Commander Fores has been assigned as inspector. He and our QM will communicate with each other as to which post meeting the inspection will be conducted at.
• We have an additional fund raising event in that the La Union Hash Harriers are celebrating their 1776th run on January 18, 2020 at Tropical Garden. They are requesting us to cook the meals for them. The proposed cost per meal is 200 pesos and the event will begin at 1700. A motion was made by Comrade Aukshun and seconded by Comrade Rodgers to cook and sell food at the event, discussion, motion approved. We will need volunteers to cook. All profits will go to the Post.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Comrades, Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
• Leyte Landing Ceremony at Pala was outstanding, Tacloban City on the 20th of October. Commander Reyes, Comrades Webber, Wilson and Brown were in attendance.
• Members of the post, in addition to the family of MOH recipient Pvt Jose B Nisperos attended a Veterans Day Ceremony at the gravesite in San Fernando City Cemetery. Commander Reyes, Senior Vice Commander Carr, Junior Vice Commander Brozowski, Chaplain Rodgers and Comrades Aukshun, Bridges and Spain were in attendance. It was learned that the family is also related to Captain Felipe Casuga (DSC). They also pointed out two more veterans buried next to the wife and daughter of Pvt Nisperos: TEC5 Macario O Osotio SVC CO 1 Filipino INF World War II and HT1 Ricardo T N Osotio USN.
• DPA CofA will be held in Phnom Peng on December 6-8. They now have a Word Document to register. Last day to register is November 15th. Strongly recommended to get Visas on-line ahead of time.
• DPA convention is in Bangkok, Thailand in June.
• VFW Post 11447 will hold their annual Beach Bash in February 7, 8, and 9th 2020.
• VFW Post 124 will hold their Fun Day also in February in conjunction with the District 7 Meeting and not with the Golf Tournament, February 17, 2020.
• Space “A” is available at Clark Field…see instructions that are posted on our Facebook page and what I sent out to you all via E-mail.
Special Events this Month until the next meeting:
• November 28: Thanksgiving Day
• November 29: CCO Team Captains Meeting at Bluwater Beach Resorts and Parks/Social at Footlights.
• November 30: 28th Annual CCO at Bluwater Beach Resorts and Parks 0800.
• December 6-8: VFW Department of Pacific CofA, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
• December 7: National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
• December 17: VFW Post 9892 Membership Appreciation Day/Christmas Luncheon. P&M Final Option. 1 PM.
50/50 DRAWING: Total 1000 pesos. The winner was Comrade Limle. The Post will receive 500 pesos.
BUDDY POPPY: P350, which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1130 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 17 December 2019 @ 9:00 a.m. at Philibel’s Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union.