MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 14 MAY 19
Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
Garrett Bridges – OOD
Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours.
Opening prayers were given by Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander - Andrew Dzurissin – Absent
Junior Vice Commander – Tim Aukshun – Present
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers – Present
Trustee One – Garrett Bridges -Present
Trustee Two – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Three – John Mesaros – Present
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Don Carr - Present
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski - Present
There were 16 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• District 7 Commander Alex Fores.
• Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel Rhett Webber
• All past Seam Squirrels, Post Commanders, District Officers and Department Officers.
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS:
• Wesley G Kerlin: USAF(Retired), GWOT-Korea, Life Membership. Was sworn in as a Life Member of Col B J Smith VFW Post 9892 by Commander Reyes and was presented the Cross of Malta Insigne lapel pin.
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the April 9, 2019 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Aukshun, seconded by Comrade Bridges. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by Comrade Spain. All programs are adequately funded indicating that our financial status is good. Income and projected expenses were also discussed with no immediate concerns. Comrade Brozowski made a motion to accept the quartermaster’s report, subject to audit. Motion was seconded by Comrade Webber, No discussion, motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Mann is presently at the Bridges of Hope in Angeles City recovering.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Lorma Hospital still does not bill FMP directly due to slow payments by FMP. VAOPC Manila is still aware of this issue and will be brought up again at the next Teleconference.
• Service Officer Reyes read the VFW E-mail entitled, “VFW: House Committee Passes Blue Water Navy Act” dated May 9, 2019 which states:
o Once passed into law, HR 299 will restore VA benefits to tens of thousands of so-called Blue Water navy Veterans who have had their VA disability taken away from them in 2002. It would require the VA to contact those veterans who filed claims that were denied. Those veterans could be eligible for retroactive benefits.
o Veterans exposed to Agent Orange while along the Korean DMZ will have an earlier start date from April 1, 1968 to September 1, 1968.
o Benefits will expand to children born with “Spins Bifuda” due to parents’ exposure in Thailand and require the VA to report of research being conducted on a broad range of conditions, possibly related to Southwest Asia, for future legislation efforts to create a list of presumptive conditions.
o Toxic exposure is toxic exposure; every veteran, family member and advocate are urged to contact their respective members of Congress to get this bill passed and signed into law. Contact your members of Congress here: https://ssl.capwiz.com/vfw/issues/alert/?alertid=80598036
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Report sent via email distribution
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Nothing to report
CHAPLAIN: Prayers for our departed comrade, Tom Darkus and family.
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Report sent via email distribution
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: We are doing outstanding in our community service work. Continue performing community service and document your monthly participation by submitting to Junior Vice Commander Aukshun. Be sure to provide the number of volunteers, number of hours worked, number of miles traveled and the total amount spent. Send to Twaukshun@yahoo.com Keep up the good work.
• ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND: Comrade Roger Limle read his School Report to the members. If there any members interested to helping to distribute schools supplies contact Comrade Limle.
• SEAM SQUIRREL: Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
• CHILI COOK-OFF: It was decided that our theme for our next Chili Cook-Off will be “Alligator Chili” and that we should start selling our main 50/50 CCO Raffle Tickets earlier.
• NATIONAL HOME: Report sent via email distribution
• POW/MIA: Report sent via email distribution
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Our Membership is presently 103.43%. This puts us #144 in Division 4 Nationally. We need to be in the top 50 to gain All-American honors which presently is 108.52%. We need 11 more members to reach it. Two Life Memberships to get the DPA Membership stipend. One Life Membership to get District 7 stipend.
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: QM Spain will get together with the Budget Committee to review our outgoing and incoming budget prior and propose the incoming budget at our next general membership meeting for a vote of approval.
NOTE: For more information regarding the committee reports have been sent to members on the email distribution list.
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Aukshun, seconded by Comrade Rodgers, some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by Post Chaplain, Comrade James Rodgers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Update on the Barroro/McPherson Project Action: Work is almost completed. Comrade Brozowski, who has been coordinating this project, will let us know when we will be having the dedication ceremony for the public restroom dedication in the name of Pat McPherson at the Baroro Auditorium, Barangay Baroro, Bacnotan, La Union. All members are strongly encouraged to attend the ceremonies if possible, once notified. Special thanks for Comrade Brozowski for coordinating and overseeing the project to its completion. Deadline for completion of the final report to the VFW National Grants folks is July 1, 2019. Please take pictures of the completed facility and project for submission.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on hold. We will wait until they contact us after they finish their remodeling. Commander Reyes said that he thinks that we should target July. Until then we need to start building our table and back display.
• District 7 Commander, Alex Fores performed as the VFW Post Officer Installation Officer. The following comrades were sworn in as elected and/or appointed officers for VFW year 2019-2020. Their term of office commences after the VFW Department of Pacific elections on June 12, 2019.
o Commander: Bobby Reyes
o Sr Vice Commander: Don Carr
o Jr Vice Commander: Pete Brozowski
o Quartermaster: Charles Spain
o Trustee One : John Mesaros
o Trustee Two: Fred Russian
o Trustee Three: Garrett Bridges
o Chaplain: Jim Rodgers
o Adjutant: Bud St Onge (appointed)
o Service Officer: Don Carr (appointed)
o Judge Advocate: Don Carr (appointed)
o Surgeon: Rhett Webber (appointed)
o Assistant Quartermaster: Tim Aukshun (appointed)
o Safety Officer: Rhett Webber
o Historian: Pete Brozowski (appointed)
o Webmaster: Pete Brozowski (appointed)
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• A reminder: Since the Department of Pacific Convention will be held in June 9-13, our June General Membership Meeting has been moved to Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 0900, as some members will be attending the convention.
• Comrades, keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front. Commander Reyes will show you how to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly if you need assistance.
• The deadline to register for the registering for the DPA Convention is June 1, 2019. Those attending the DPA Convention in Saipan need to reserve their rooms on the DPA Website as the rooms are going for $100/night. If you order through the hotel or through an on-line hotel Website, such as Hotels or Agoda then you will pay $170/night. The hotel name is Fiesta Resort and Spa. The local post will provide transportation to the Convention for attendees from the airport to the hotel. Airfare tickets are becoming hard to come by so order your tickets early enough.
• Commander Reyes said that we normally have a Memorial Day social event after we place our flags on the graves of fellow veterans at the cemeteries. This year coming Memorial Day is Monday, May 27, 2019. Comrades are asked to meet at the gravesite of the Medal of Honor recipient Pvt Jose B Nisperos at 0900 at the San Fernando City Cemetery on May 27, 2019. Immediately after that we will regroup at Philibel’s Resto for a social. We have permission to grill hamburgers and hotdogs for a donation to build up our funds in order to do the good works that we perform in our community and to our veterans, families, widow and orphans. If you are not able to help put flags on our deceased veterans’ graves, please support your post by attending the social at Philibel’s. All drinks will be purchased inside Philibel’s.
• National gives money for recruitment drives as per CinC BJ Lawrence.
• Incoming District 7 Commander Bud St Ong asked if there was anybody interested post members interested in accepting District 7 Officer positions. New Comrade Kerlin volunteered and was appointed as District 7 OOD.
• The next District 7 Meeting is scheduled for July 5, 2019 at VFW Post 11447 in Barrio Barretto. Officers’ call will be at 0930 and the general meeting begins at 1000. All VFW members are invited to attend. Post 11447 will hold their annual (4th of July) FilAm Friendship Day Celebration on 6 July. We have Raffle tickets @ P500 each if somebody desires. Grand Prize is P75,000; Second Prize is P25,000. There are only 400 tickets. See Commander Reyes if you are interested in purchasing a ticket.
• If you have any small items that can be auctioned off at the Grand of Pacific Auction in Saipan, contact Comrade St Onge to see if he can fit the items in his luggage to bring there.
• There will be a VA/US Embassy Outreach at the Royce Hotel in Clark, May 30th 0800-1100 come early to place your name on the sign-up sheets.
Special Events this Month until the next meeting:
• May 15: National Peace Officers Memorial Day (flag at half-staff this year)
• May 18: Armed Forces Day
• May 27: Memorial Day
• June 1: Post Election Reports due to National
• June 14: Flag Day
• June 14: US Army’s Birthday
• June 16: Fathers’ Day
50/50 DRAWING: Total 1900 pesos. The winner was Comrade Warren (P950 pesos). The Post will receive 950 pesos.
BUDDY POPPY: P300, which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1100 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 18 June 2019 @ 9:00 a.m. at Philibel’s Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union .