MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 10 Nov. 20
Due to the Enhanced Community Quarantine and travel restrictions throughout the island of Luzon, Republic of the Philippines this meeting was done using group video conferencing with the Zoom Application. Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours. Opening prayers were given by Commander Webber.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Rhett Webber – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Andrew Dzurissin– Present
Junior Vice Commander – Edward “Pete” Brozowski– Present
Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun- Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers- Present
Trustee One – John Mesaros - Absent
Trustee Two – Garret Bridges – Present
Trustee Three – Fred Russian - Present
Adjutant – Bud St.Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Bud St.Onge – Present
Surgeon – Andrew Dzurissin—Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Bobby Reyes – Present
Scholarship Committee Chairman—Tim Aukshun—Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber – Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Excused
OOD—Garrett Bridges - Present
There were 10 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
Commander Webber recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Current District 7 (acting) Commander and past Post Commander: Bobby Reyes
o Past All American District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Tim Aukshun
o Past District 7 Commander and Post Commander: Bud St Onge
DRAPING/UNDRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: At our next physical General Membership Meeting at Crown & Anchor Resto; we will drape the charter for all Comrades that have passed during the quarantine. However, we discussed doing this via a zoom meeting sooner, to honor those that that have passed. More information will be provided on this at the next meeting.
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: The following membership applications were approved at today’s meeting: John F. Brown, Steven Hupfer and Bruce Stevens. A motion was made by Comrade Aukshun to accept them as new members of our post, seconded by Comrade Munnick. No discussion and motion approved.
READING OF MINUTES: The Minutes from the December 8, 2020 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes, as distributed and posted, was made by Comrade Aukshun, seconded by Comrade Brozowski. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Aukshun. A motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report, upon audit, was made by QM Aukshun, seconded by Comrade Brozowski. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo recovering at home.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Kiper is convalescing at home.
• JD Keller, convalescing at home.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• Presently working with clients.
• Service-Connected Veterans enrolled with VAOPC Manila will be offered the COVID-19 Vaccine when available.
• CLAIMS: A reminder to look at our post Webpage and you will find the documents that most people would use to file a claim. Your post service officer and District Service Officer can assist you. The post Service Officer will forward the paperwork through the District 7 Service Officer and Assistant Department Service Officer. Claimants can set up a Zoom or telephone appointment with the Post Service Officer using the Email SO9892@vfwpacific.org. VA Form 21-22 must be filled out giving the VFW Power of Attorney to assist with the claim.
• VAOPC Manila will continue to have telephone appointments until further notice, although they do have limited face to face appointments. We advise that you check with them prior to your appointment, to confirm it. Ensure that they have your current phone number on file, as they will be contacting you by phone or by secure messaging in My Healthy Vet. There are strict guidelines that must be followed for clinic visits. Some specialty doctors are no longer available at the clinic. Check with the clinic to confirm your options for receiving specialty care. In most cases you will have to be treated by a private doctor and seek reimbursement from FMP (Foreign Medical Plan). The VA can also provide you a VES exam with a local doctor at no cost to the Veteran.
• See our new link in our VFW 9892 Website entitled, “VA Survivors Benefits”. Here veterans and survivors can find information on filing and be able to download forms. There are many links to documents on our Website. We have been receiving positive feedback on its content. Of interest is the link “Planning Your Legacy”. It is a rather large download as this is a book that will give guidance to the veteran and family. www.vfwpost9892.com. We have a link to the page on our Facebook also.
• DEERS: See the attached documents (emailed) for important information on how to enroll dependents in DEERS.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
JUDGE ADVOCATE: None
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: None
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• BUDDY POPPY: None
• NATIONAL HOME: None
• POW/MIA: None
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: See report on membership applications.
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
• SCHOOLS: Still need a School Committee Chairman
• SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: None
• SEAM SQUIRREL: None
• CHILI COOK OFF: This year’s event is cancelled due to travel restrictions. We will replace it with a 50/50 raffle draw as our fundraiser. Drawing will be held at our Post meeting on December 8, 2020.
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports will be inputted on the new VFW DPA page of www.vfwpacific.org.
• BUDDY POPPY: None •
NATIONAL HOME: Attached •
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: None
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
• SCHOOLS: Still need a School Committee Chairman .
SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: None
• SEAM SQUIRREL: There will be a short Scratch immediately after this meeting.
• CHILI COOK OFF: None
A motion was made by Comrade St. Onge to accept all committee reports, seconded by Comrade Aukshun. Some discussion. Motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME:A prayer was said by Chaplain Rogers, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI continues to be on hold.
• Bacsil Ridge project is on hold.
• Post 9892 Birthday celebration still reset for at a later date once we have our first physical GMM at Crown & Anchor.
• VFW Posts are required to store and safeguard important VFW documents. The DPA has issued a letter outlining documents and retention periods we must follow. Refer to Post 9892 website to review these guidelines.
• Comrade Bridges suggested that the post sponsor the La Union Hash for their upcoming Valentine run, at a cost of 2,000 pesos to the post. A motion was made by Comrade Aukshun to support this sponsorship, seconded by comrade Brozowski, some discussion, motion approved. Our Post logo will be printed on the Valentine run tee shirts.
• School scholarship program: There has been considerable discussion over the last couple of months on what the guidelines are for supporting students that are requesting assistance from the post. After much discussion we now have documented guidelines that outline what the requirements are. A motion was made by Comrade Brozowski, seconded by Comrade Aukshun to use this to determine eligibility. If you are aware of a student seeking school assistance from the post, submit the request to one of the post officers, we will use these guidelines and our availability of funds to make a decision.
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• We have been advised by our National organization that they are experiencing delays in the production of Buddy Poppies. Please continue to submit your orders while they actively work toward fulfilling your requests. All orders will be processed in the order in which they are received, but fulfillment may be significantly delayed. Feel free to send inquiries to the National Buddy Poppy program administrators at email@example.com
• Commander Webber encourages any Veteran scheduled for a Manila VA appointment to request a telecom with their primary doctor, to avoid having their medications cut off. This guidance shall remain in place until quarantine restrictions are lifted.
• Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Comrade Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
• The new Department of Pacific Areas Webpage is www.vfwpacific.org . Log in to Members Only to input CSR data using the member’s VFW membership number and your last name as the password.
• Blue Water Navy Veterans are now approved for Agent Orange disabilities claims, subject to verification and approval by the VA.
• Three new Agent Orange presumptives bladder cancer, hypothyroidism and parkinsonism have been added to the existing presumptives.
• The VFW National Convention is scheduled to be held in Baltimore Maryland. The dates have not been set but this event typically is in the July – August time frame. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
• The Department of Pacific Areas Convention is scheduled to be held at Pattaya Beach, Thailand June 27 – 30 June.
• There has been a letter circulating throughout the Veterans community labeled the Veterans Alliance Petition, seeking support for vaccines being made available to U.S. Citizens residing in the Philippines. If you support this initiative, you may sign it as an individual. Do not make any reference of being a member of the VFW. The VFW organization has not taken a position on this as of this date and until further guidance is provided by our National Office, it will remain neutral.
• The VFW District VII meeting will take place on February 10, 2021, hosted by Post 11447 in Olongapo. This meeting will be held via zoom.
Events and dates until our next meeting: None
50/50 DRAWING: None
BUDDY POPPY: None
Meeting closed at 1005 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be February 9, 2021 @ 0900, at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union. However, if we are still in quarantine, we will have the meeting via Zoom