MONTHLY MINUTES FOR: 14 Jan 20
Commander Reyes made the following temporary appointments for this meeting:
• Fred Russian – OOD
• Charles Spain -- CHAPLAIN Opening ceremonies for a regular meeting conducted in accordance with Veterans of Foreign Wars Ritual; meeting opened at 0900 hours.
Opening prayers were given by appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Spain.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Commander – Bobby Reyes – Present
Senior Vice Commander – Donald Carr – Absent
Junior Vice Commander – Pete Brozowski – Present
Quartermaster – Charlie Spain – Present
Chaplain - James Rodgers--Absent
Trustee One – Fred Russian – Present
Trustee Two – John Mesaros – Present
Trustee Three – Garrett Bridges -Absent
Adjutant – Bud St. Onge - Present
Judge Advocate – Don Carr - Absent
Surgeon - Rhett Webber--Present
Safety Officer – Rhett Webber – Present
Service Officer – Don Carr – Absent
Elementary Schools Chairman - Roger Limle – Present
Seam Squirrel – Rhett Webber - Present
National Home/POW/MIA Chairman - Rhett Webber – Present
Webmaster – Pete Brozowski – Present
Assistant Quartermaster – Tim Aukshun – Absent
Historian– Pete Brozowski -- Present
There were 10 members in attendance.
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
Commander Reyes recognized the following distinguished attendees:
• All past Department, District and Post Commanders.
o Past Department Commander: Rhett Webber
o Present District 7 Commander: Bud St Onge
o Past District 7 Commander: Rhett Webber, Charles Spain, Alex Fores
o Past Post Commanders: Rhett Webber, Roger Limle
o Junior Past Commander: Bud St Onge
• Pup Tent 7 Seam Squirrel Rhett Webber
DRAPING/UNDRAPING OF THE CHARTER CEREMONY: Thankfully, none
READING, REFERRING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS: None
READING OF MINUTES: : The Minutes from the December 17, 2019 meeting have been posted on the Post website and distributed via email. A motion to accept the minutes as distributed and posted was made by Comrade Brozowski, seconded by Comrade Webber. No discussion. Motion approved.
QUARTERMASTER’S REPORT: The Post’s financial status was read by QM Charles Spain. Motion to accept the Quartermaster’s Report as audited was made by Comrade Spain and Seconded by Comrade Russian. No discussion. Motion approved.
READING OF BILLS: None
OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE: None
COMRADE OR FAMILY OF A COMRADE IN DISTRESS:
• Daniel Cimo is currently at home in Tacloban City recovering.
• Dave Ransom is still ill at home.
• James Kiper had a stroke and will probably need some assistance with Home Care. His wife will let us know if he needs any assistance from us.
REPORT OF SERVICE OFFICER:
• VAOPC Pharmacy: The Clinic is experiencing a shortage of medications. They are requesting that veterans submit their request for refills a least 30 days in advance to avoid the inconvenience of slow delivers. Or you may purchase them locally and seek reimbursement through FMP. Also, the VA clinic indicated that they are only required to provide medications for service connected disabilities. In the past they have prescribed medications for many other ailments, as discussed with the VA doctor. They will continue with this practice as long as the medications are available at the clinic. More information on this issue is forthcoming and will be posted on the next report.
• If you have additional Service Connections added then you should file for another FMP authorization letter.
• Bluewater Navy has a map of where your ship would have been at to qualify for Blue Water Navy.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
SURGEON: Report sent via email distribution
JUDGE ADVOCATE: Absent
CHAPLAIN: Prayers for our departed comrades.
HISTORIAN: Records have been updated with more updates as they occur.
SAFETY OFFICER: Report sent via email distribution
COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN REPORTS:
• COMMUNITY SERVICE: All Community Service Reports go to Junior Vice Commander Pete Brozowski. email@example.com.
• ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & MICHAEL MURPHY MEMORIAL FUND: Report was read by Comrade Roger Limle. This will be the last month of collecting for the Elementary School & Michael Murphy Memorial Fund; we are looking for anybody to stand up and volunteer to take over from Roger.
• SEAM SQUIRREL: Seam Squirrel Webber reports that there will be a Cootie Scratch following this meeting.
• CHILI COOK-OFF: CCO Cook Off shirts are to be sold through concession at Crown and Anchor Resto Bar.
• NATIONAL HOME: Report sent via email distribution
• POW/MIA: Report sent via email distribution
• MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: Commander Reyes reports 100% in membership. Keep the press on membership! We will continue to discuss our Membership Drive at the next meeting when more members would be in attendance.
• BUDGET COMMITTEE: None
NOTE: For more information regarding the committee reports have been sent to members on the email distribution list.
Motion to accept all committee reports made by Comrade Webber seconded by Comrade Limle, some discussion, motion approved.
REMEMBER OUR NATIONAL HOME: A prayer was said by temporary appointed Post Chaplain, Comrade Spain, in remembrance of our National Home.
• Membership Drive Booth at CSI is on hold. See Membership Committee notes.
• Comrade John Kelly asked about the feasibility of having a WWII monument set up on the beach in San Fabian. Trying to get somebody to contact the local government in San Fabian. A member brought up that Bacsil Ridge also needed some work and it looked like it didn’t need any help from us. We can use VFW National Grant money for this project if possible. Comrades Edwards and Kelly will get together and see if the Local Government would even want to have a memorial at or near San Fabian.
• We still need to locate a venue for our District 7 Meeting on April 17.
• January will be the last month for the School Program. We are looking for somebody to take over the program that Roger Limle has been doing for a great many years. If nobody wishes to volunteer to “hat” this then we will vote to shut down the program in February and redistribute the School Funds monies back to the General Fund or other funds.
NEW BUSINESS: None
GOOD OF THE ORDER:
• Start planning for the Post Birthday Party on June 7, 2020. We will need to form a committee. Tabled until the next post meeting to get more ideas and interest.
• Comrades, Keep the press on membership. Ask; you never know if anybody is interested in joining unless you give them an opportunity to say yes...or no.
• Commander Reyes encourages all post members to follow/friend the two DPA Facebook Pages: "DPA Official Communications" and "DPA Around the Pacific" and to sign up for the VFW Action Weekly on www.vfw.org to get up to date information on what the VFW is doing on the legislative front.
• DPA convention is in Bangkok, Thailand in June 13-17. Windsor Suites Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand.
• VFW Post 11447 will hold their annual Beach Bash in February 7, 8, and 9th 2020. Raffle Tickets are on sale for P500. Sponsor Banner is for P2000. See VFW Post 11447 if interested.
• VFW Post 124 will hold their Fun Day also on February 16, 2020 at Pinewood Golf and the District 7 Meeting on February 17, 2020 at the Travel Lite Hotel. Invitation letter is attached with all the specific details.
• Consider having a CofA here in La Union for December 2020.
• Recommendations and write-ups are coming due for DPA Outstanding Awards.
• Post Elections will be held in April, Nominations for Post Officers will open in March.
• Philibel’s name has been changed to Crown & Anchor Resto.
• Because Valentine’s Day is February 14 we will have our “Valentine’s Day” Hospital Visit at the end of our meetings on February 11 and muster back at Crown & Anchor Resto for a Social.
• The DAV has moved their office onto Pinatubo Street on the left side past the Blue Monkey Bar in Angeles City.
• The US Embassy American Citizen Services, Social Security Administration, and the VA Manila Regional Office and Outpatient Clinic are tentatively scheduled to participate in the following Outreach events. Regional Office staff will be available to assist with questions regarding pension and benefit claims, and Outpatient Clinic staff will be able to schedule appointments, provide wellness checkups, and will have flu and pneumonia vaccines available.
Special Events this Month until the next meeting:
• Angeles City, Pampanga
• Date: Thursday, January 16, 2020
• Time: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. • Venue : Clark Marriott Hotel
• 5400 Manuel Roxas Highway, Clark Freeport, Mabalacat, Pampanga •
• Olongapo City, Zambales
• Date: Friday, January 17, 2020
• Time: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
• Venue: Mansion Garden Hotel
• Dewey Avenue cor. Bonifacio St., Subic Bay Freeport, Olongapo City
Baguio City Outreach
– January 30, 2020 The U.S. Embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) unit will conduct an outreach event in Baguio City on January 30, 2020 from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. The event will be held at the U.S. Embassy Residence Compound in Baguio City, and requires advance registration to attend. To confirm attendance, please email
BaguioOutreachJan2020@state.gov by Friday, January 24, 2020 with the full name of each person (including children) who will be attending the outreach. Please note the following:
• Attendees must present a valid government issued I.D. to enter the grounds.
• Attendees must leave their mobile phones at the U.S. Embassy Residence Compound gate. Mobile phones are not permitted on residence grounds.
• Private vehicles will not be permitted to enter the U.S. Embassy Residence Compound gate.
• A free shuttle service will be offered between the gate and residence. Shuttles will run continuously between 7:30 – 11:30 a.m.
• Attendees with disabilities that prevent them from riding the shuttle should notify BaguioOutreachJan2020@state.gov by Friday, January 24, 2020 for alternate arrangements.
50/50 DRAWING: Total P900 pesos. The winner was Comrade Russian. The Post will receive P450.
BUDDY POPPY: P290, which will go into the Post Relief Fund.
Meeting closed at 1010 hours in accordance with VFW ritual. The next Col B.J. Smith VFW Post 9892 meeting will be 11 February 2020 @ 9:00 a.m. at Crown & Anchor Resto, # 475 National Highway, Barangay Pagdalagan Sur, Bauang, La Union.